Monday, March 21, 2005

Tournament thoughts...

Random thoughts from the weekend that was...

- Bill Simmons is a lazy bastard. I wish I could only do half (or less) of my assigned work because I found it boring. It's work, its supposed to suck.

- Mike Gansey may have singlehandedly willed West Virginia to victory over Wake Forest, but does he have his welding certificate? I didn't think so. No wonder he had to leave St. Bonaventure.

-What exactly caused Rudy Gay to fall down on that last play against NC State? Did he slip on a banana peel?

-Did anybody catch the pregame man hug between Villanova Coach Jay Wright and Billy Donovan's dad? Holy awkward Batman. It exceeded the standard length of a heterosexual man hug (as set forth in the Geneva convention) by a good 20 seconds. I had to manufacture a burp just to feel like I wasn't watching Lifetime or something.

- I wish I could've bet my car on "the freshman point guard from Bucknell will miss the front end of this one-and-one with 4.3 seconds left". He was lucky he didn't pee his pants on the walk up to the line.

- The Mascot Death Match method was looking pretty sweet on Friday night with Vermont and Bucknell winning. Yet, as of today I am down to one remaining Final Four team in that particular bracket. Oh well.

-Wisconsin-Milwaukee: The Feud is over.

- During Saturday's victory, Luther Head became the all-time single season leader at Illinois for three pointers made with 97. That's quite an accomplishment when you consider that Head was nothing more than a dunker and slasher when he arrived at Ilinois. Very impressive to see someone identify their weaknesses and round out their game accordingly.


- I kind of missed on that Pacific-Washington upset, which means...that I'm just as smart as Seth Davis. Hey Sports Illustrated: Can I have a job now?

- If Francisco Garcia doesn't go in the top 15 of the NBA Draft, then I may have to stage a West African style coup on the front offices of numerous NBA teams.

-Winsome Frazier of Mississippi State is one sketchy looking dude. Seriously, look at his picture, on hair alone this guy could get convicted of numerous crimes by just about any jury below the Mason-Dixon line.

-Salukis are originally from Egypt? Really?

-I find it hard to believe that New Mexico couldn't find a scholarship for Ronald Ross. How is that possible? I can't name one guy, other than Danny Granger, on the entire New Mexico team but we're suppossed to believe that Ross wasn't worth a scholarship offer coming out of high school? There's got to be more to this story and I, for one, would love to hear it. Of course, considering the current state of sports journalism we'll probably end up with a story about Jarrious Jackson and his unlikely friendship with the former Notre Dame QB of the same name.

- Everything about the idea of watching Wisconsin play basketball bores me to tears. Come to think of it, everything about the idea of watching Wisconsin play football bores me to tears as well. Thats it...I'm boycotting the entire Wisconsin Athletic Department...and for no good reason.

-Curtis Stinson needs to take a cue from Clark Kellog and just start shaving his head. Even with the headband, you aren't fooling anybody Curtis.

- Does Tom Izzo have some sort of deal with the devil that allows Michigan State to advance to the Sweet Sixteen every year? I'm completely serious about this. Michigan State hasn't been a team I would describe as "good" in about four years but every year the manage to make it through the first weekend. I need answers over here.

- I've changed my mind on Will Bynum. If he can just pass every now and then, he has a real shot at being an off the bench combo guard in the NBA. Shit, Troy Hudson and Eddie House are collecting regular paychecks doing the same thing and I think that Bynum is just a bit more talented than those two gunners.

- When does Mark Few stop getting a free pass for all his tourney flameouts? Now seems like a good time. Do you realize that Gonzaga hasn't made it past the second round since 2001, even with the sweetheart seedings that the Tournament committee keeps handing them? If Few was coaching the the SEC or Big East, that would be all the media could talk about.

-I know that its become cliche' to talk about how (insert undersized power forward here) would be a great NFL tight end, but I really, really think that Jason Maxiell would be unbelieavable as a tight end...for whatever thats worth.

I'm sure I'll think of more random thoughts from the weekend but I also have to maintain the appearance of work today, for at least a couple of hours, so I'll check back in later.

No comments: