Friday, March 04, 2005

Harold Arceneaux...we hardly knew ye.

I was watching the Pacers-Nuggets game last night and while watching Eddie Gill do his best impression of and NBA point guard, I remembered that Eddie had been a part of that Weber State team that stormed through heavily favored North Carolina en route to becoming that year's NCAA tourney cinderella du-jour in 1999. I know that du-jour is in reference the insert noun "of the day" but I have know idea what the french way to say "of the year" is so we're just sticking with du-jour. Anyway, Eddie Gill was the second banana on that team to Harold Arceneaux, who most assurredly would've been a first round pick (and bust) if he had gone pro after that, his junior year. Unfortunately for Harold, he decided to stay and raise his stock while pursuing a degree. Of course, Weber State was unable to recapture that tourney magic the next year and Harold slid off into basketball oblivion. I hadn't thought about Harold in years...until last night that is. So I decided to check up on Harold. After bouncing around Europe for a few years and doing some "community work" in his native New Orleans (read: sleeping in Grama's extra bedroom), Harold is currently playing for the Utah Snow Bears of the ABA. Good to know that Harold is safe and sound...hopefully Eddie is giving him some percentage of his checks to Eddie these days, or at least inviting Harold to hang out with Eddie's posse during All-Star weekend and things like that. In case you want to check on Harold, here you go...http://www.usbasket.com/USAplayer.asp?PlayerID=13645.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Nice work. Senior year Spring Break. Ft. Lauderdale. Weber State over UNC. I remember it so clearly. I was having a particuarly "ecstatic" night and was mezmorized by that game.

Mark said...

I actually watched most of that game in a strip club, also while on Spring Break and though I don't remember a single stripper from that night (there were many)I can still see Arcenaux raining jumpers over Jason Capel like it was yesterday.