Saturday, April 30, 2005

I wish all of these guys had thrown their freshly purchased jewelry out of hotel windows.

As I was watching the Sonics-Kings game last night and crying inside over the thought of John Weisbrod trading Cuttino Mobley and ruining the Magic's once promising season, I began to think further about Mobley and how he has to be one of the greatest second round picks of recent memory. This, inturn, got me thinking about the best second round picks of recent vintage. It's a longer list than I had originally expected with some very quality players on it, even a few stars. Here then are my picks for the first and second teams of the All-Second Round Squad:

First Team:

PG: Nick Van Exel
SG: Manu Ginobilli
SF: Rashard Lewis
PF: Carlos Boozer
C: Antonio Davis

Second Team:

PG: Gilbert Arenas
SG: Cuttino Mobley
SF: Ruben Patterson
PF: P.J. Brown
C: Mark Blount

First off, I have to apologize for putting Mark Blount on the list but the amount of serviceable NBA centers who have been drafted in the second round is predictably small, it basically came down to Mark Blount or Calvin Booth, which is never, ever a good choice to have to make. Also, I had to make an executive decision when it came to the point guard position on the first team. I believe that Gilbert Arenas will end up having a better NBA career than Nick Van Exel but it was hard for me to put him ahead of Nick the Quick based on the career that Nick has had up to this point...and I've had a pretty serious man crush (ngs) on Mr. Van Exel for over a decade now and I'd be lying if I said that it didn't play a role in this as well.

There are actually far more decent centers in the NBA who weren't drafted at all than there are decent second round centers, with Ben Wallace and Brad Miller being the two most obvious examples. Feel free to examine and criticize my picks in the comments section. Of course, you'll be wrong and I'll openly rip your choices but don't let that stop you.

No comments: