Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Hey girl. Do you want to see my big board?

Do you think when he's had one vodka tonic too many that Mel Kiper ever says that sort of thing to the young NFL groupies wandering around Manhattan this time of year? If not, he should really give it a try. It's either that or pick up Ron Jaworski's scraps...which is a scary thought. On second thought, I apologize for ever bringing this up.

Soooo, I'm back and somewhat distracted by the latest Medeski, Martin & Wood album "End of the World Party (Just in Case)". By distracted, I mean that I'm sitting at my desk with my feet up while listening to the CD over and over again. It's not really that new of a release as it hit stores a few months back but I didn't decide to download it until late last week. For those of you not familiar with MMW, check out there website www.mmw.net for more info on the trio.

As excited as I am about the upcoming NFL Draft, I have been unable to piece together any real coherent thoughts about the draft that I deem worthy of running on here. That should let you know just how disjointed my thoughts have been his week since I'll pretty much put anything on this site. With that said, I'm just going to hit you up with some quick random thoughts today until my brain decides to come back from its extended vacation. Maybe the teachers who ran the Ocean Breeze Elementary "Just Say No Club" were right about the evils of drugs after all. Oh well, its too late now.

- Golden Sate is my new favorite team to watch and the #1 reason I'll be subscribing to the NBA package next year. I don't know how good they'll be (Adonal Foyle does start) but they are thoroughly enjoyable to watch on a nightly basis.

-Thomas Davis will end up being a perennial Pro Bowl selection if he is moved to outside linebacker. He's a bigger version of Derrick Brooks and will be an immediate impact player in the NFL.

-I must be the only guy on earth who's not sold on Braylon Edwards. He's an extremely talented receiver, but I don't think he makes enough plays in crucial "move the chains" situations. I'll take Mike Williams if I had to choose between the two. Then again, I also thought that Michael Clayton was a bad pick by the Bucs last year. Ummm, yeah...I was a little off on that one.

- Warning: Hypothetical GM talk beginning now: If I needed a QB and Jason Campbell was available in the second round, I would draft him immediately. If he is allowed to learn the intricacies of quarterbacking in the NFL for a couple of years, he could be the best QB in this draft.

-I don't think that Adrian McPherson will EVER have the mental capacity to be a good starting QB in the league. I'd be willing to bet on it. Then again, maybe my mouth is writing checks that my butt can't cash. Get it? Bet on it...Cashing checks? Nevermind.

-David Pollack is going to be a fantastic special teams player, which is great...for somebody drafted in the fourth round.

- Channing Crowder has the talent to go alot higher than he's being projected and will be a steal on draft day provided that one specific thing happens when he comes into the league. The one thing: He is slotted at outside linebacker. He does not fight through traffic or shed blocks well enough to be an effective middle linebacker in the NFL. He will be much more effective if he's put in coverage and pass rushing situations.

- Admittedly, I only watched Maryland once all year but I can't escape the feeling that Shawne Merriman is going to be a huge bust.

- Say what you want about FSU (seriously, say whatever you want) but that school has a very impressive recent history of putting big time left tackles into the NFL. Alex Barron is just the next in line.

- Overrated: UAB WR Roddy White
-Underrated: USC DT Mike Patterson

- It's going to take Troy Williamson a couple of years to develop into a legit NFL starting wideout. He played in a glorified middle school offense at South Carolina and the difference in the mental aspects of the game are going to make his adjustment alot harder than your average rookie receiver.

-If the Bucs want to trade up for Alex Smith, then I'm all for it. I really think that Smith will be a heck of an NFL QB in a few years and his strengths are perfect for John Gruden's system. Unless the Bucs can grab him (for sure) then I don't see any reason why they would give up a second or third round pick to move up. At pick #5 you'll get two choose between a bunch of very good talent at WR and RB. If the Bucs draft Aaron "product of the system" Rodgers then I'm going to throw up.

-With tight ends being so in vogue (and effective) right now, how has Heath Miller managed to slide so much? I know that he's been injured but his play over the last two years at Virginia should speak for itself. The NFL's obsession with measureables drives me crazy sometimes.

-Alright, I'll say it...Carlos Rogers is better than Pac-Man Jones. Also, keep an eye on Corey Webster. He's going to start next year, guaranteed.

-Biggest bust of the draft: Fabian Washington. Here's a guy who has flown up draft boards based soley on his 40 time (which WAS amazing). Here's the problem: He wasn't overly productive in college, is undersized, and didn't exaclty face the highest caliber of receivers on a weekly basis in the Big 12. Other than Oklahoma, who else in the Big 12 has consistently produced NFL caliber receivers over the last couple of years? That's right, nobody.

-Wherever Ciatrick Fason goes, I hope it is to a team that runs some version of the West Caost offense. Philly would be a great fit for him.

-Clinton Portis is an awesome dude...http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005204190321&source=email

4 comments:

Mark said...

I don't know what it is abiout Alex Smitht hat makes me like him. I will definitely agree with you about both of these guys coming from gimmick/trick offenses. I just feel like Smith mobility and moxie will allow him to be a good (notice I said good, nothing more) NFL QB. With that said, I wouldn't want him to see the field for at least two years. Jason Campbell really turned my opinion of him around during last season, as I had been one of his biggest critics up to that point.

Either of the Williams boys is ok with me and despite what I've said about Edwards, I wouldn't be too distraught with that pick either. He's a very good player, I just thinkt hat he's a bit overvalued at this point.

I've never thought about that Matt Jones angle before, but it has some real possibilities to it. Despite his freakish measurables, I think it is INSANE to take a former QB turned WR in the first round. Their is far too much to go wrong to risk spending a first round pick on him.

Good to know that the other BUcs fans were in the dark on this one as well. A perfect first two rounds for me would be as follows:

Bucs 1st: One of two Williams (or Edwards or Brown if either is available)

Bucs 2nd: Mike Patterson or a wideout/rb (basically the opposite of the hole they filled in the first round)

I know its partially my Gator Bias but I would LOVE to see Fason suting up for the Bucs next year. He doesn't blow you away physically but he is a player who knows how to runa nd has an innate sense of the cutbacks.

I'm getting excited already.

Vitas and I are going to come up on June 9-12. We're looking for tickets right now.

Mark said...

Yeah, I'm a little sketchy on Edge if only because he doesn't seem to really ahve a passion for the game and could be candidate to cal it quits within a year or two. If he is healthy and plays for another 5 years or so it oculd be a good deal but I'd be a little gun shy about it as well.

One addition to my second round wish list: Elton Brown. He's been a four year beast in college who ahs slipped due to some imjury issues but I really think that he could be a dominant guard in the league, even possibly a good to very good tackle. Either way he'd be an upgrade for the O-Line.

I will take care of the Natty's tix. I just have to call my old boss with a little advance notice.

Mark said...

I have nothing to post but I figured I'd just go ahead and put something up since this will break the record for the most comments on one of my blogs...YES!!!

Mark said...

I can never have the spotlight CAN I?