Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Return of the Man (Child)...

Old man Leyland has really been busting my hump today. Seriously, I haven’t had more than a few spare minutes all day long. Of course, I’ve used those moments to scour the internet for anything that would take my mind off the ridiculous people that I deal with at work on a day to day basis (this includes both co-workers and customers).

It’s not all bad though as the Magic kick off their season tonight against the Indiana Pacers. I guess I shouldn’t be too excited about tonight’s matchup since it’s fairly likely that the Magic will be run out of the gym by a Pacers team that I fully expect to challenge for the best record in the league. Have you looked at the roster that Indy is throwing out on the court this year? It’s by far the deepest in the league, without question. Not only are they getting back a healthy Jermaine O’Neal and a fresh legged Ron Artest, but Larry Bird went out and signed the best guard in Europe in Sarunas Jasikievicus (no spell check on the last name…I’m testing my knowledge of Euroleague stars on this one) as well as one of the few ready to contribute draftees from this past June in Danny Granger.

Speaking of Danny Granger, it’s a good thing that the Magic passed on him this summer because it’s not like he would’ve have come in handy now that Grant Hill is out for up to two months with sports hernia surgery. At least Fran Vasquez has looked good in the preseason…for Unicaja Malaga.

As best I can tell, there is only one reason to be excited about this year’s edition of the Magic…Dwight Howard. He exceeded expectations last year while showing glimpses of becoming an absolute monster down low, and that was as a skinny 18 year old who had no idea what to expect of the NBA. Now that he has a year of experience under his belt as well as a summer to get stronger and refine his offensive game, it should be fascinating to watch his development throughout the season. He has an outside shot of making the All-Star team this year if everything were to come together perfectly for him. However, the more likely scenario is him averaging 15-16 ppg and 11-12 boards a contest. Either way the Magic MUST make it a priority to force feed him the ball 20-30 times a game. Even if it means that the Magic give up a few games (or murder Steve Francis) because they are so intent on leaning on Howard’s offense. As a team, you are clearly not going to compete with the big boys in the East this year so why not use this as the year to establish Howard as the alpha dog of the franchise?

I’ve got to get moving now because I have a board meeting to get to, but I’m going to keep an abbreviated journal of sorts tonight in the comments section as I watch the Magic along with some of the other NBA games that are airing this evening.

22 comments:

Mark said...

I just walked in my house early in the second quarter. First play I saw: Kelvin Cato throwing the ball over the head of 6'10" Hedo Turkoglu and out of bounds. Good to see that Kelvin is already in mideseason form.

Mark said...

Two consecutive plays by Bo Outlaw. (1) Loses an easy pass out of bounds. (2) Jonathan Bender tomahwaks it on Bo's head.

Boy did we miss you Bo.

Mark said...

I'm saying it right now. Dwight Howard leads the NBA in blcked shots within the next two years

Mark said...

Ahhh, yes. This is the Magic I remember. Opposing point guards getting in the lane at will. Dunk and and open jumpers galore. 43-37 with 2 minutes left in the half.

Mark said...

Hey!! It's the Maitland Little League team. Way to not win the Little World Series!! Where the fat Bichette kid?

Mark said...

Filthy alley-oop from Francis to Kato.

Mark said...

Unbelievable and1 for Francis.
God, he's frustrating...he could be soo good. Not Isiah Thomas good but still. It'll never happen though.

Mark said...

76ers-Pistons tipping off on TV2.

Mark said...

47-43 at half. I'm guessing the Pacers win by 12-15.

Francis has 9 and 5 with no TOs.

I'm gonna read the second half of the Sports Guy NBA Preview that I didn't get too at work.

Mark said...

Second half begins.

Mark said...

The Magic have come out...less than inspired. Down eight with 3:30 left in the third.

Mark said...

Artest nails a three. Pacers up 11.

Mark said...

I really enjoyed Sports Guy's NBA Preview. NBA columns have always been my favorite columns of his. Partially, because I do really enjoy the NBA but also b/c he is pretty knowledgeable. However, I think his thoughts on Steve Francis showed that he hasn't REALLY watched him closely.

Mark said...

First off, Francis plays with the ball too much to ever truly play the two spot like Iverson can. The ball just stops in his hands very often regardless of how he came to ahve it in his hands in the first place. Secondly, I think that Francis is far too headstrong to ever buy in to the overall scheme of team basketball AND being the second option.

Mark said...

OHHH!!! Danny Granger just got banged on by Howard. That should be happening in practice everyday.

Mark said...

Anyway back to Francis. Playing with Garnett may...MAY be the only exception. I just think he's a different guy from Vince. Vince is a bitch, plain and simple.

Nobody has ever questioned Francis heart or desire. It's just that he doesn't quite get it when it it comes down to playing in the team concept. He's not nearly as selfish as people make him out to be.

Magic down eight going into the fourth.

Mark said...

In my opinion, the only way that Francis will ever be a part of an very succesful team (Finals appearance) unless he latches onto a team late in his career and ends up playing a old gunner off the bench kind of role. Like an Eddie Johnson-Dale Ellis typeof thing.

Mark said...

Jameer Nelson ahs played very solid D against Jas%$#us.

Mark said...

Nelson just ripped Jas. and got a lay-in. Timeout Indy, Magic down 6.

Mark said...

Cato is getting killed in the post by O'Neal. Indy is back up 10.

Just as I write this. Timeout Magic. Howard is getting back in. Good, if we're get our ass kicked by O'Neal then at least let it be some valuable experience for a guy with a future.

No offense Kelvin.

Mark said...

Alright, that's it. I just got food delivered. 3 minutes left in the fourth. Magic down six. They've gone to Howard in the post on three of the last four possesions down the stretch. f course, the one exception was when they posted up Bo effin' outlaw.

Mark said...

Magic lose by 12. On the bright side, the lobster hibachi I ordered was great.