Monday, November 28, 2005

Shutouts (almost) and Shout outs.


Where ya from?

And who ya crew?

If you didn't get the two questions above, don't worry about it...it's a Chocolate City thing.

I'm not going to write too much this afternoon. Part of that is due to the power outage that caused my first post to be erased just as I was editing it. The rest is due to the amount of work that I have to do after being out of the office for the past few days.



I will start off by saying congrats to the University of Florida football team for their nearly historic 34-7 victory over Florida State University. I say nearly historic because it would've been historic only if the Gators had managed to pitch a shuout. Despite the lopsided score, it wasn't the most impressive or efficient performance that I've ever seen out of the Gators, especially the offense (Will somebody work with Chris Leak on his accuracy over the summer? I'm begging you!). Even without the shutout, the game was still a beatdown of Florida's biggest rival. In fact, the Beatdown in Ben Hill (I made that up, thank you very much) was just the kind of dominating performance against an in-state rival that results in some serious juice on the recruiting trail. Don't believe me? Just check out the number of commits that Urban and his staff have picked up since Saturday. None of these commits are binding until February but you still ahve to fel good about the way things are shaping up. If you have time, and you want to waste it, then check out some of the videos of these recruits, specifically Jarred Fayson.

Other than Saturday's victory, my weekend was a menagerie of sleeping, drinking and complete and utter immaturity. Don't know what I mean? The non-football highlight of my Sunday afternoon was when Matt sidled up to the unsuspecting face of Dave and let loose with a vicious seafood gumbo fueled fart that brought down the house. I was nearly in tears. Yes, I know, we're all extremely mature individuals.

Of course, I needed something to lift my spirits after Matt Bryant summoned the ghost of Martin Grammatica by missing a 29 yard FG with just over two minutes left and the Bucs down by three. That is the kind of mistake that can change the course of an entire season, especially when you're a young football team that has to go on the road for the next three consecutive weeks. I don't want to talk about this game anymore. Watching that kick was enough to make me want to crawl into bed until Monday morning.

Luckily for me I didn't go to bed, as there were three fantastically entertaining OT games yesterday. The first games ended exactly how I like OT games to end, with exciting and decisive finishes. Don't get me wrong, I thought that the Giants-Seahawks game was great, but it's also a little challenging for me to stay finely focused on a game with which I have no vested interest in when it's two participants are making less progress towards victory than Gunnar Esiason and Doug Fluite Jr. in a 110 meter hurdles race.

Finally, a big MVP (or is it MP3) sized shout out (do I hyphenate that?) goes to Chris Silva for bringing home top honors in the 8th Annual Turkey Bowl. Silva, aka OJ Santiago, bounced back from last year's loss to capture the MVP by tossing 10 TDs while also returning a pick for a TD. According to my records, this makes Chris the most successful Mexican QB since Archie Manning's half brother (and Mexican League legend), Julio Cesar Manning. Congrats again Silva.

My original post was longer and far more grammatically correct but I'm too damn tired (and pickled with alcohol) to try and piece it back together in my head. Enjoy the rest of your day...bitches.

No comments: