Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Working hard...or hardly working?

I've been pretty busy today trying to take care of some things (coughjobinterviewcough) before I take a half day off tommorow and a full day off on Friday. It's asinine that I even have to take a day off on Friday, but that's besides the point. I'll use my vacation on Friday to head up to Gainesville for the first (and last) time this season to take in the Florida-FSU matchup. The game doesn't mean as much nationally as many of the past classics between these two teams but I assure you that the dimished implications of this tussle won't result in any less passion or excitment from the fans, players, and coaches involved. Regardless of what people may say, these two teams are each other's biggest rivals and a win in this game changes the way that fans view the entire season (to a degree). I'll try and do a small post on Friday morning about the weekend's festivities, but that all depends on how late Thursday night/Friday morning lasts.

I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving and the reason for that is simple...football. Sure the food will be great and it's always nice to spend a little time with your family, but that's not what I've been waiting for. I've been anticipating Thursday because Thursday will be a day chock full of football. First, on Thursday morning, my friends and I will get together for the 8th Annual Turkey Bowl. It's a well established Thanksgiving tradition at this point, and all the participants look forward to it's arrival with a level of excitement usually reserved for lapdances and mind altering fungi. What do you expect? You're not exaclty talking about the Consortium for High Moral Standards when my friends are the topic of discusion.

After a game that is guaranteed to be short on athleticism and long on hungover guys in their 20's, I'll retire to my parents' house for the best slate of Thanksgiving Day NFL games in recent memory. The Lions suck, but at least they're playing Michael Vick and the Falcons. Regardless of if you have any vested interest in either of the teams, it's always fun to watch Michael Vick do Michael Vick type things (as opposed to watching him do Ron Mexico type things). Shortly after Michael Vick has finished skeeting all over Detroit's defense, the Cowboys will play host to Denver Broncos and "No Mistake" Jake Plummer. In my opinion, this is (on paper) the best game that we (as a nation) have been given on Thanksgiving since the late '90s. Then again, I always end up falling asleep during the Cowboys game on Thanksgiving so I'm probably not the guy to listen too when it comes to the Thanksgiving activities of America's team.

Two last things before I go:

-Michael Irvin's tie on Monday Night Countdown last night was an abomination. If Irvin had been shirtless, his belly button would've been exposed. I realize that you're wearing a coat with that tie Michael, but maybe you should take more than 20 seconds putting your tie on when you plan on removing that coat during the broadcast, don't you think? I've seen kids at their first commuinion with a better idea of how to dress like a man. If you have enough time to pick out a mink coat for your court appearances then you can probably the spare five minutes it will take Ron Jaworski to teach you how to wear a tie.

- If there's a better song out there than House of the Rising Sun, then I don't want to know about it.

3 comments:

T.J. said...

Did you realize that the Georgia Tech DB who the judge ruled reinstated last week was charged with possession of 100 POUNDS of pot? That is Bam Morris territory...

T.J. said...

Some holiday good cheer, courtesy of Metallica's "One"...

Darkness imprisoning me
All that I see
Absolute horror
I cannot live
I cannot die
Trapped in myself
Body my holding cell

Landmine has taken my sight
Taken my speech
Taken my hearing
Taken my arms
Taken my legs
Taken my soul
Left me with life in hell

Mark said...

Odell Haggins huh? did you tell him that you went to Mel-Hi? You guys would've been brothas instantly.