Friday, November 04, 2005

All Smush, all the time...


I guess I should write about journeymen point guards in this space more often. I only stayed up long enough to watch the first half of the Laker game last night but man did I get plenty to gawk at in the play of Smush Parker. At one point in the first half the young guard from New York picked Steve Nash clean on three consecutive possessions. I don't think I can recall ever seeing Steve Nash ripped at all, much less three straight times down the court.

Finally, late in the half Smush drove baseline and hammered down a dunk on the Suns. It was as impressive a half that I've seen out of a young point guard in quite some time. All of this and he was coming off a 20 point effort against the Nuggets that included a clutch three in the fourth quarter. The Lakers lost and Nash ended up with a very Nashy 12 points and 17 assists but even that doesn't take away from the fact that Parker had the Staples Center buzzing with excitement for a good portion of the first half. That might not sound like much, but in a town like LA where half the crowd doesn't arrive until the second quarter it is quite an accomplishment. After one steal that Parker ended up losing out of bounds, even Jack Nicholson felt obliged to extend a hand to help Smush up. That's big time right there...do you think that Jack bothers to help up Brian Cook when he goes tumbling out of bounds? Yeah, me neither. Why do I seemingly have a man crush on this undrafted guard? Have you seen his hair cut?


It's tough to tell from the picture but this dude has a down the middle part, ala Larry Johnson circa his UNLV days. You know what I'm talking about. The best part is that Smush has taken his part all the way to the back of his head. This is a haircut that would even make Eddie Winslow cringe. What a haircut. What a name. What a guy.

No comments: