Monday, January 03, 2005

New Year, old job....ugh.

So, I'm back with my first update of the new year, and the first one in almost three weeks for that matter. You may think that I didn't post anything for the last three weeks because I was spending time with my family or because I was on vacation in the Rockies or something...well, you'd be horribly wrong. I didn't go anywhere and I tried to avoid "family time" as much as possible. When your family includes 4 children under the age of 5, drinking is about the most enjoyable activity that one can think of during the holidays. Because of this extended , and glorious, drinking binge I am significantly less healthly than the last time I wrote but also far more incompetent in my day-to-day work life. Who says you can't have it all? Not this guy.

I will refrain from discussing much of the Peach Bowl debacle if only because I am just pretending that it didn't count since Florida didn't have a real head coach. Thats exactly what they looked like and exactly what they played like. I will say one thing though...never in my life have I seen a receiver (or any non-quarterback, for that matter) just lay down like Chad Jackson did against Miami...shit, even the St. Louis Rams receivers were making fun of Chad after that ridiculous display of feminimity.

Boise State may have lost but I think that alot of people were very surprised by how well they played against Louisville..I , however, was not one of them. Boise State can play offense and has been able to for a couple of years now, Dan Hawkins knows how to "coach 'em up" on that side of the ball. Stopping people on the other hand has never been their strong suit and will always be a struggle for them. You can hide a lack of big time athletes on offense but it will always catch up to you on defense where size and speed are absolute neccesities and gameplanning can't cover those definiciencies up.

The finish to the Citrus Bowl was amazing...amazing due to the unbelievable mental error on the part of the LSU secondary. I realize that Drew Tate made a heck of a throw, but you just can't let a player run free through your secondary like that with no time left in the game, inexcusable.

Finally, the Rose Bowl was probably the best and most competitive football game that I watched all year. Two very good teams playing at an extremely high level, and two teams who clearly cared about winning the game, which is more than you can say for most bowl games.

I realize that Chad Henne was a freshman this year and the Lloyd Carr must've paired down the playbook some but how do you not get Steve Breaston the ball more often? If Breaston played for a coach like Urban Meyer or Bobby Petrino he'd be a top tier Heisman candidate.

Also, Braylon Edwards is a heck of a receiver who I think will end up being much better than alot of recent Michigan receivers (I know thats not saying much), but at least once or twice a game he seems to lose concentration on the easy catches and just drop the ball. It cost his team against Ohio State and its something he'd better rectify soon because he won't get nearly as many chances to make plays in the NFL. Yet, without question, Vince Young was THE story of that game. He was completely unstoppable. Some of the plays he made in that game looked like the plays in grainy recruiting videos that you see when players are coming out of high school. If he had been making plays like that in a middle school game, the oppossing teams parents would've been demanding to see his birth certificate.

There's still plenty more college football as well as pro football to talk about but I have an early happy hour calling so we'll pick this back up tomorrow morning.

No comments: