Friday, January 28, 2005

Did anybody else see Caron Butler crying on Leno last night or was that just the after effects of all the LSD I did in high school and college? That was nuts. If I had to pick and NBA player that would cry on a late night talk show, I think that Caron would've finished in the bottom 5% of the league...then again, I also thought that Robert Traylor was going to make an All-Star team or two in his day. That's a public school education for you.

Thank effin god that its Friday...I don't think that I could have taken another day of consecutive work, but I'd better get used to the idea of working seven days a week...because Spring Training is right around the corner and that means I start working like a 10 year old phillipino kid making jordans. Until then, I can still go out and get drunk 3-5 nights a week...Oh, who am I kidding? I'm still gonna get drunk 3-5 times a week, I'll just have to be hungover at work instead of while advancing my NCAA Football 2005 Dynasty.

On TNT last night Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley were joined by Dwyane Wade because he's in town to play the Hawks tonight. The three usuals peppered Wade with the normal boring questions until Kenny asked Wade which specific players he really gets up to play against. Wade threw out a few names but the first name he mentioned was none other than Gilbert Arenas. Wade even went on to mention that he and Gilbert were developing a "real nice rivalry". I thought this comment was particularly telling in that Wade considers Arenas (at least) close to his equal. I , for one, look forward to watching this rivalry develop as you will have a hard time finding two more athletic and offensively talented young guards in the League right now. Of course, Wade may have been referring to the rivalry that he and Arenas have developed in ping-pong...because we all know that Gilbert takes his table tennis very seriously.

Shortly after this, TNT went to commercial by showing Tim Duncan (who was playing in the night's second game on TNT) on a Wheaties box while Charles openly wondered why Tim Duncan was on a Wheaties box to begin with. To which Kenny replied, "Its the breakfast of champions, they must not have served that in Alabama." I don't care how many times its done, making fun of Barkley for never winning a championship never stops being funny...to me at least.

The NBA announced the rosters for the Rookie-Sophomore game yesterday and I think the Rookies may be in trouble...of course if it gets ugly again then we can just stop the game and have an impromptu dunk contest again. I'm not sure what was better about that last year...the sheer ridiculousness of that whole last five minutes or the thought of David Stern's head exploding while he watched Lebron and Carmelo risk horrible ACL tears in a meaningless game.

Can we all agree that ESPN shouldn't be allowed to make a SportsCentury about a player who hasn't even retired yet? You're telling me that ESPN has run out of legends to profile and all they have left is SportsCenturies about Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant? I think they're both great players and all but neither of them has even reached 30 years old. It's kind of tough to do a good piece on someone's career when they're in the middle of it, don't you think? How about doing a SportsCentury on Bernard King, Walt Frazier, Warren Moon, or even Ozzie Smith? I could go on with these suggestions for days...no really, I could.

Seriously, if the folks at ESPN are really having trouble thinking of athletes to profile, I'd be more than happy to help...because if I see a Lebron James SportsCentury at any time during the next five years...I'm gonna grow a beard and go to Bristol with a 2' x4' and do my best Hacksaw Jim Duggan impersonation on their entire production staff.

The Magic play the Wizards tonight in the beginning of a home and home. Even without my cousin Larry Hughes in the lineup, these are two of the more exciting teams in the league to watch because they both push the ball and play alot of young, athletic guys. Sure, sometimes Steve Francis and Gilbert Arenas think that they're playing fullcourt one-on-one for five and ten minutes at a time, but even with that this is as fun a midseason mathcup as you will find, especially in the Eastern Conference. Plus, you'll get to play the Doug Christie Drinking game which should be a perfect primer for the rest of your Friday night debauchery...or the it will result in you passing out on your front porch with your keys in the door...not that anything like that has ever happened to me.


No comments: