Thursday, January 27, 2005

I miss the Mad Dog....

I tuned into the Duke-Maryland game last night and was rewarded with a pretty good ACC matchup...it wasn't the caliber of the Duke-Maryland games of recent vintage but it certainly was entertaining enough to garner my interest for most of the night...whne I wasn't switching over to ESPN2 to look at Serena Williams' ass, er watch Women's Tennis. I will say that Women's Tennis is alot more entertaining to watch based on the strenght disparity between men and women which allows for far better rallies in the women's game. Anyway, here are a few thoughts from the Duke-Maryland game as well as some other random, disorganized musings.

-Shelden Williams has the biggest forehead I have ever seen, he is listed at 6'9" but would be alot closer to 6'6" if he didn't have two normal forheads smashed into one another.

-Daniel Ewing is making himself into a pretty nice combo guard...I think that he is alot more like Gilbert Arenas than Troy Bell because he is a more natural slasher than shooter and if he works out well, he should be able to sneak into the late first round. Of course, I also thought that Ben Gordon would have to turn himslef into a point guard to be succesful in the NBA so I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.

- Dick Vitale is clearly in love with John Gilchrist and he isn't afraid to let the whole country know about it...I get the feeling that this is all going to end badly. Probably with Gilchrist and JJ Reddick squaring off in a steel cage match to determine the winner of Vitale's heart.

-Duke has had some bad recruiting busts in recent years. I won't even discuss Shavlik Randolph because its a huge waste of all of our time. Sean Dockery is another story altogether...here's a former all-american who Duke brought in to be the next in their line of good-to-great point guards who is now nothing more than a token starter on a pretty thin Duke team. By the way, the other point guards that Duke were after that year are as follows: John Gilchrist, Anthony Roberson, and Jarrett Jack...um, yeah that couldn't ahve worked out much worse for Coach K.

-How far into his playing career at Duke do you think Steve Wojodhejufijdhfski was before he knew that he had no other option besides becoming an assistant coach at Duke? Five, maybe six games?

-Qyntel Woods signed with the Heat yesterday. That should be great for Qyntel's probation...because there are certainly no pit bulls, much less any organized fighting of pit bulls in Miami.

- Last night, Greg Anthony said that Lebron was his MVP over Steve Nash because he plays defense and affects the game on both ends of the court and that the MVP was suppossed to be awarded to the player who was "most valuable to the League"...evidently my email was down when the NBA sent out their guidelines for How to Define the MVP becauseI had no idea that it was determined by this criteria...since this is the way it works why don't we just factor in total jersey sales as well while we're at it. I'm not saying that Lebron isn't deserving of the MVP, but I do find it hard to beleive that Karl Malone won his MVPs because he was more valuable to the NBA than Michael Jordan.

-I miss the NBA 2night...NBA Nation give yous minimal highlights and spends half the time giving us the opinions of various NBA scribes and former players. Speaking strictly for myself here: I want as many highlights as possible in my late night NBA wrap up show, not Tim Legler and Marc Stein debating the merits of Jackson Vroman and Maciej Lampe. Plus, would it really kill ESPN to give us Fred Carter and his point four or five days a week?

No comments: