Friday, January 14, 2005

White guys with doo rags...hooray!

So I missed terribly on my pre-analysis of the GT-UNC throwdown. I know that GT was missing B.J. Elder but I don't even think that Larry Elder could've stopped UNC on Tuesday...unless he broadcasted a show right there in the Dean Dome where David Noel admitted to fathering the child of Sean May's girlfriend...nah, the Heels still win by a ten spot.

UNC is really good, though I'm not quite ready to say they're better than Illinois and it sure is tough to hate on Kansas after they beat GT & Kentucky without Wayne Simien. Everybody is saying that the difference in UNC this year is that they have "bought in" to Roy Williams' concepts. While they have definitely ratcheted it up a notch on defense and are sharing the ball somewhat better, the real difference is that they are finally deep enough to play at the pace that Roy Williams likes. This team is legitmately nine deep and that is much more than most major Div. I teams can say these days.

Judging by Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale's drool at his feet, I may be in the minority but I don't see Rashad McCants being a good pro. He is probably alot closer to 6'2" than 6"5" and doesn't have nearly the ballhandling ability that either Ben Gordon or Gilbert Arenas had in college. He basically pats the ball with his left hand when he dribbles and he won't be able to physically overpower other two guards in the league like he does now. One thing he does possess is legit NBA range but other than that I just don't see him as having any NBA ready skills. Other than freshman Marvin Williams (too early to tell just yet), I think that Raymond Felton has the brightest future in the pros among these guys...though, I hope he goes this year just so I don't have to hear Vitale scream "Everybody Loves Raymond" during 45% of every UNC home game. Could somebody just take him out to a field and shoot him? Seriously, how many more years are we gonna have to listen to this guy?

One last thing about Carolina: Some NBA GM would be wise to draft Jawad Williams in the later part of round one of this year's draft. He's gotten better every year he's been in school and is UNC's leading scorer this year...another one of those multi-dimensional four year guys that always seem to transition to the NBA very well. Of course, he'll probably go undrafted and have to play his way onto a roster during summer league while some Serbian kid gets three years of guaranteed money.

You may wonder why I haven't mentioned the possible game of the year in the ACC...the Carolina-Wake Forest matchup tommorrow, thats because I have to work during the better part of it and if I talk about it then my eyes will start to bleed due as a reaction to my overwhleming anger. One thing to watch tommorrow (not me, you!): For a point guard that is so universally loved, Chris Paul's left hand is a little suspect. I'm not saying he Capt. Hook but he can be slowed down if you force him that way all game. Funny that nobody ever really mentions it. Jameer Nelson really contained him last eyar in the tourney by doing just that.

I really like the new ACC in football but the new unbalanced ACC absketball schedule blows. Its effin' ridiculous that teams like Wake, Duke, UNC & NC State will only play each other once most years. The home and home rivalries was part of what made ACC basketball so interesting, now its just like any other conference.

The Playoffs were great last weekend and should be even better this weekend. Here are a few quick thoughts regarding this weekend:

- Everybody seems to like the Colts, well everybody except Bill Simmons, shocking as that is. I just can't pick Peyton Manning to win this game. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he could never beat Florida or maybe it has something to do with the Pats. The Patriots are very vulnerable, without question but I still think that the Pats pull this one out behind a big game from Corey Dillon, don't worry Tory, he want get to have the nickname that you gave yourself! Patriots: It is still January and this game is still being played in New England.

-The Jets are an interesting pick since Pennington looks healthy and Roethlisberger is gonna have to lose at some point but I don't believe in their offense enough to take them here. Pittsburgh's defense forces at least 3 turovers and they win by 9.
If you were the Giants, would you rather have Muhsin Muhammad or Plaxico Burress? Seems like a no-brainer after Muhammad went insane in the second half but most people were saying Burress was a better value earlier this year. Here's my take: Burress is younger, more athletic and is probably willing to sign for less money. Muhammad proved this year that he can handle the No. 1 receiver slot which Burres has never had to do with Hines Ward next to him (very underrated transition from No. 2 receiver to No. 1...just ask Peerless Price), is a MUCH more disciplined route runner and also seems to be a harder worker than Burress who has never struck me as a workout fanatic, well other than the type of "workouts" that occur between 2-5 AM. Also, I could never, EVER rationalize spending big free agent dollars on a receiver who lost (badly) to me in Madden a few years back...defensive tackle: maybe, receiver: no way.

- Peter King called Mike Martz the "best QB developer since Bill Walsh" yesterday. Pretty good point. Trent Green, Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger... not exactly a who's who of all-time college QB greats, and he's turned each of them into a Pro Bowl QB. He may be a horrible game day coach but the man can "coach 'em up" as Stephen Orr Spurrier used to, er, still does say. I am going with the Falcons here because I think they have the defense to force Bulger into some bad throws and I just have a feeling that we will get some Mike Vick Magic tommorrow. It may only be one great play, but it will turn the tide of the game. Just a feeeeling.

- I wish this game was tommorrow so I didn't have to hear about Randy Moss' ass anymore. The last time the media talked about a black man's ass this much in one week was the Clarence Thomas hearings and it wasn't Clarence they were talking about. Why can't the media harp on stories like Rodney White throwing up on the court at MSG last year? Now that would make me want to watch the Coors Light/Hershey's/Coca-Cola/Universal Silver Spotlight Countdown Jacked Up on Sportscenter every night...alas. I don't think that Moss is gonna be healthy enough to beat the Eagles secondary on Sunday and I just can't see Kelly Campbell or Nate Burleson putting together a strong enough performance to pull this one out. I am looking forward to seeing Donovan McNabb throwing balls at Freddie Mitchell's feet for 60 minutes, I think I missed that more than anything during this year's NFL season, well other than shots of Rob Johnson wearing a doo-rag on the sidelines...can't somebody sign him as their third QB? Just for a week or two?


Over/under on the number of times we see the Ms. McNabb Chunky Soup Commercial this weekend: 562


1 comment:

yoni cohen :: http://yocohoops.com said...

Mark-

Came across your blog today. Very funny stuff.

Noticed you are a college basketball fan. Hoping you could kindly add a blogroll link to my College Basketball Blog, http://collegeball.blogspot.com. I'd greatly appreciate a permanent link on your site.

And would gladly return the favor, adding a link from my site to yours.

Thanks!

Yoni Cohen, College Basketball Blog
http://collegeball.blogspot.com