Sunday, September 04, 2005

Weekend Wrapup 1.0

I had a hell of week this past week. It started by me working last Sunday and kept on rolling with three days of meetings in Orlando as well as a Health Fair on Monday. All in all, I woke up an hour or more early five out of six days last week.

The silver lining in this is two fold, first I have hired two new employees so I won't be working in the public eye (or working at all for that matter) nearly as much very soon. More importantly, the college football season opened on Thursday night. I don't care how much you like baseball or even basketball, nothing quite fills your weekend like two afternoons jammed full of pigskin. I decided to celebrate all of this by getting blackout drunk on Friday night. I may have ingested more shots than beer and I definitely don't remember going to sleep. Evidently, I made myself at home on my buddy Kurt's recliner because that's where I woke up at 8:30 on saturday morning. After I crawled back home and slept until about 1:15, I woke up refreshed and (surprisingly) motivated to accomplish a few minor tasks. In order to do this, I reasoned that I needed some quality sustenance. So I went around the corner to my local diner and picked up some Biscuits & Gravy. Maybe it's just me, but there's not a whole lot better when you're hungover than bread and milk gravy.

After I devoured my brunch I was off to Radio Shack to get a new cable splitter. I moved in to a new place a few months back and had never bothered to set up my second TV. Let's just say that the time had definitely come. Of course, this led to some whining/bitching from my girlfriend when she came over later on in the evening. Did I mention that she showed up hammered? Probably not the best strategy for convincing me to change my new setup. Anyway, I grabbed some beer and a few other things on my way home and was ready for a full day of football.

The day started off with a solid Bowling Green-Wisconsin matchup. My buddy Calvin went to Bowling Green and I gave him a call at halftime to see how he was holding up. Within about ten seconds of picking up Calvin pretty much summed up the entire game by saying, "We'd be good if we could get Omar Jacobs to play defense." Sadly, Omar only throws passes and Wisconson was too big and too physical for the Falcons. Still, a mildy entertaining game for the first 2 1/2 quarters or so. By the way, the coaches at UCF, USF, FAU and any other second tier school in Florida should be immediately fired for letting Omar Jacobs get out of Florida. George O'Leary gets a pass since he wasn't around when Jacobs was in high school, but you get the picture.

Of course the big news of the day was Oklahoma losing. While it was a big upset and a heck of a story to lead Sportscenter with, it was a pretty boring game that never really felt like it would slip away from TCU. If you missed it, all you missed was soon to be former Sooners QB Paul Thompson throwing passes at his receivers' feet and Adrian Peterson being gang tackled.

Just as this game was grinding to a halt, I looked up on my second TV to see a highlight of UAB closing the gap on Tennessee to seven with about ten minutes left in the fourth. I immediatley grabbed my remote in search of this game that had somehow slipped under my radar. I was pretty sure where to look though, as there is always one SEC game a week on in the early afternoon on the local UPN or WB channel. It's broadcast by Jefferson Pilot Sports and it's generally pretty bush but I would listen to a game on the radio if it meant that the family fuckers in Tennessee would be sent home crying from their beloved Rocky Top. Unfortunately, UAB couldn't quite get over the hump. Darrell Hackney drove the Blazers to the Volunteer 8 and had a second and 4 with about four minutes left but that was as close as they would get as Tennessee pulled out the victory. I didn't get to see anything other than highlights from the early part of the game but apparently Erik Ainge shit the bed which led to Clausen Brother #2 coming in and leading the Vols to victory. Tennessee had better get it together, three of their next four games are against Florida (away), LSU (away) and Georgia (home).

Of all the afternoon games, the most exciting was the Colorado-Colorado State matchup. It was on my second TV for most of the day. It's the perfect second TV game. Good action, an occasional big play, and it's on TBS so you don't have to worry about hearing their amateurish announcers stumble their way through the play-by play. Though the game proved to be the most exciting of the day, the best part was whenever I tuned in to hear the TBS team overselling the tenacity and pride involved in the rivalry. C'mon guys, I'm sure it's a really big deal in Colorado but nobody else gives a shit. Still a fun game to watch.

I grabbed a quick bite to eat and my buddy Vitas showed up to watch Georgia-Boise State and Florida-Wyoming. I'll get to the report on that as well as the evening's games tommorrow with the second half of th wrapup.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Leave me alone you douche.