Thursday, September 08, 2005

Fearless Predictions Part 1

I wish I could adequately explain how effin miserable it has been around here since Monday. Hurricane Ophelia is acting exactly as you would expect from somebody with a name like that. Just hanging out and ruining everybody's time. In absolutley no hurry to leave. It's not that it has been very tough weather, just grey (dark grey) and constant rain. Sweet.

Anyway, the NFL kicks off tonight after a 3 hour pregame concert featuring 10 acts, none of which could name four players a piece off of tonight's rosters. Can't we just play football already? No? Ok, thats for clearing that up. There is one thing we can do, and that is move on to my thoughts on the upcoming NFL season as well as a few other useful pieces of my sanity that fell off at some point during this past week. Remember to always keep you legs and arms inside the blog while it's moving.

- The Vikings are not going to be as good as everybody says. They'll still win their division because every other team is below average but I'm pegging them for 10-11 wins as their offense struggles to keep pace due to a shaky receiving corps and an extremely unproven ground game. I think we'll get a real look at Culpepper this year as well. If he can continue to put up monster numbers (I don't think so) like he did with Moss then he deserves to be mentioned among the elite QBs in the league...but not until then.

- Joey Harrington will lose his starting job to Jeff Garcia, who will end up giving his job back Harrington. Leading Detroit fans to break into an impromptu chant of "Charlie Batch (ch-ch-chchch!)". Alright, maybe that last part won't happen.

- The Redskins defense will be worse than last year and even though it won't be completely his fault, this will result in finally lending credence to my assertion that Lavar Arrington is the most overrated linebacker in football. He's the Champ Bailey of linebackers...all sizzle, no steak. Yet, somehow universally regarded as one of the elite guys at their respective positions.

- Kerry Collins will make the Pro Bowl and be called a punk (or some variation on that theme) by Randy Moss. Not very far out on the limb on that one, I know.

- Bananas are kind of a ripoff, and this is coming from a guy who eats 2 or 3 a week. The problem is they come in bunches of 5-6. We all know that Bananas don't stay good for a week and I don't know anybody who regulary eats 6 within the course of a week.

- Dom Capers will be fired before season's end.

- Kyle Orton is linked to some former playboy floozie in the tabloids.

- Rudi Johnson will lead the league in rushing.

- The Steelers will go 9-7. They just seem like a team who had everything go right for them last year. Between Big Ben pissing off vets in the lockeroom and the passing game inevitably falling off due to Burress' absence (Ward is better but Burress stretched the field and was great bail out heave for Roethlisberger). I can't see this team scoring enough points to win double digit games. Their defense is stellar but it's got enough holes that they'll struggle some in that division.

- I ordered two pairs of shoes tonight (skate/casual) off of the utilityboardsupply.com. Nothing remarkable there. What is remarkable is the city in which this company is located. None other than San Dimas, CA. If you don't understand the significance of this than I'd like to ask you to go ahead and end your life. Seriously.


- Cadillac Williams will be the Offensive Rookie of the Year...though I have to admit that I may be a little biased on this one. Do you realize it's been 25 years since the Bucs have had a runnng back who could be described as dominant? The year was 1979 (duh) and Ricky Bell was the running back. More people know of him for dying from some weird disease two years later than anything else. Is it really too much to ask for Carnell to be a beast?

I was expecting to go a little longer with this first edition but the siren song of Jagermeister, Beer, and pope election has gotten the best of me. I'll waste some company time and write some more tommorrow.

4 comments:

CFunk28 said...

Did you see that they found Adrian Karsten dead in his house? I guess some people just aren't cut our for prison.

Mark said...

I actually mentioned it in one of my posts a day or two ago. try and keep up, will you?

By the way, thanks for never sending me that email to join the Fantasy League. You're an awesome dude.

CFunk28 said...

I did send it to you. Outside of blog writing you are computer illiterate.

Mark said...

My email address is mphughes1@hotmail.com. I just went on and looked again...not there. By the way, computer illiterate is much better than just plain illiterate.