Thursday, June 28, 2007

Drunken Drafting: Volume 2

After months of workouts and what seems like weeks of speculation (both trade and draft related), the most exciting day of the NBA year is finally here. Normally, I’d be too nervous to put together any sort of column this close to the draft. However, the Orlando Magic are without a first round draft pick this year, which leaves me plenty of time ponder the endless possibilities of this draft without swallowing my own tongue at the thought of names like Fran Vasquez, Jeryl Sasser and JJ Red…Whoa! Sorry about that. It seems the memories of drafts past are still a little too fresh for me.

Anyway, its been a strangely enjoyable lead up to the draft this year. Instead of pining for the likes of Brandon Roy and Channing Frye (can I get a mulligan on that one?), like each of the last two years, while knowing full well that the Magic wouldn’t make a drastic (read: ballsy) move to acquire players who fit their team’s needs this June, I’ve been able to sit back, relax and read up on the pre-draft process with a (fairly) impartial and decidedly unemotional take on all things draft related. Its been strangely therapeutic. Don’t get me wrong, I’d still rather that the Magic have a first round pick this year. Its just that I don’t have the sense of impending doom hanging over my head like so many cartoon storm clouds. The only thing about this draft that even causes me to have any type of homeriffic interest is the overwhelming Florida Gator representation in this year’s draft. However, even that is lessened by the probability that all three of the “big three” Gators will go within the first ten picks tonight. I’m much more interested in seeing where Taurean Green ends up and whether or not Chris Richard gets drafted than in the exact positions or specific teams who select the Noah, Brewer, Horford triumvirate.

I’m not going to do a mock draft or even give many opinions on the projected first round picks as it’s a little busy here today. ( I will predict that Jason Smith is playing in Europe in less than 4 years, for what its worth). I’ll get to that some time this weekend once the draft day maneuvering is over, as much of a draftee’s early success can be attributed to the team which selects them. What I am going to do is list a few of the players whom I’d like to see the Magic select in Round 2. There will be some solid players still available in Round 2 for the organization that does their homework (read: Not Orlando) so lets get right to my second round sleepers.

Nick Fazekas: I wouldn’t go within two miles of this guy in the first, or even early second, but he represents some value in the mid-second with his shooting and passing ability. He’s a defensive liability for sure, but Dwight Howard should be able to cover up for that a little.

Ramon Sessions: I wish this guy had tested positive for meth at the pre-draft camp in Orlando because I don’t think there’s a chance that he lasts until the Magic’s pick at 44. (Why did they give up their highest 2nd rounder to the Heat again? Couldn’t they have traded #54 for Stan Van Skunky?). However, that doesn’t mean that I don’t think he’d be great for the Magic. He’s a big (6’3) point who plays unselfishly and provides solid defense. He’s a couple years away from starting (needs to tighten up his jumper) but the Magic are a couple years away from contending.

Marcus Williams: I’m not completely in love with this guys game as he seems a little lax on D and somewhat petulant at times but he can really score. He’s the epitome of a natural scorer. He's a good, not great shooter who finds a way to get the ball in the bucket from all angles. With Hedo Turkoglu possibly heading out of town (please God), Williams would be a nice addition off the bench at the 2/3 and provide the Magic with many of the attributes that are lacking in Trevor Ariza’s game at the moment.

Ali Traore: I’ve seen a couple mocks that have the Magic taking him at 44, which would be great. He’s big (6’9), strong and very proficient offensively in the post. He even (reportedly) has a solid stroke out to 15 feet. In my (extremely optimistic) mind’s eye I’ve imagined him as a European Chris Gatling. You know the type: Good scorer with an array of post moves and solid athleticism. Not quite good enough to start on a contender but a terror as a second unit scorer. Am I going overboard here? Yeah, probably. Oh yeah, one more thing that reminds me of Gatling: Traore is apparently not a very enthusiastic rebounder. That’s okay, Dwight will get all the rebounds. All the rebounds.

Renaldas Seibutis: Admittedly, I know very little about this kid. Here’s what I know: He’s Lithuanian, athletic, has good size (6’5) and is a little more aggressive going to the hoop than the average Euro guard. He’s also got a ton of offensive skill and just needs to fill out a bit (185 lbs.) and gain a little more experience against high level competition. This is exactly the kind of guy that smart organizations draft in the mid second round (after they’ve fallen a bit) and stash in Europe for a few years while they continue to develop. Which, of course, is exactly why the Magic have probably never even heard of this kid.

Some others I like in Round 2 (that I think might actually be around when the Magic are selecting): Reyshawn Terry, Joao Gomes, Alando Tucker, DJ Strawberry, Demetris Nichols & Jared Jordan.

I’ll be back tonight with some thoughts in the comments section. Feel free to stop by and laugh at me. There’s a good chance I’ll be drunk (day off tomorrow!) and belligerent so it should be fun.

62 comments:

T.J. said...

Since you snuck this new post in right after I asked this below, it needs to be asked again:

So, who fucks up tonight's draft more, the Hawks or the Celtics?

T.J. said...

Oh, I actually think highly of Fazekas...we'll see how that pans out.

Greg said...

I think the Celts will fuck up more.

Mark said...

I actually answered your question on the last posts comments section. Here it is: I think it's Atlanta if the trade with Phoenix doesn't go down. I could see Billy Knight taking Yi. Seriously.

As an addendum, I'd like to add that Atlanta is also considering trading #11 for Luke Ridnour which makes no sense to me at all.

Mark said...

Did you watch Fazekas in the tourney? He moves like a sloth. I can't see him guarding anybody in the NBA. Or scoring out of the post, for that matter. He can really shoot it though and that makes up for a multitude of sins.

T.J. said...

Matt Bullard Lite?

Greg said...

Also, I'm still laughing at that picture you started this post off with. Kudos.

Mark said...

UCLA junior guard Arron Afflalo showed up in New York and said he would sit in the crowd at MSG and go up once his name is called.

Aaron might want to go grab some dinner in the first round. I think he's gonna have to wait a while before he hears his name called (by somebody other than Mr. Stern).

Mark said...

I love that you referenced Matt Bullard. I call every big guy who can't do anything but shoot Matt Bullard, even in pickup games.

I've been sitting on that pic for a while now. This seemed like an appropriate time.

T.J. said...

I'm a bit biased, but I assure you this guy is a tremendous second round pick:

Demetris Nichols

Mark said...

I agree. He's the best shooter in the draft and his size is a major plus. Everybody was loving Novak last year and Nichols is a better all around player and as good a shooter, imo. He improved a lot b/w his jr. & sr. year which makes me think he's can continue to evolve as a player.

I'd love to see the Magic grab him.

Mark said...

Okay, I had dinner with my gf and her kid so I'm a little behind.

I've tivoed everything so I'll catch up but I know that Yi will LOVE Milwaukee. I mean how couldn't you?

Mark said...

I feel bad for Corey Brewer. He's almost certainly going to end up without Garnett in Minny. He and Foye could be a great backcourt ina few years though.

Mark said...

Could Michael Jordan be more predictable? Wright to Charlotte just seems odd to me. He's a PF and they already have two of those.

He's got serious bust potential.

Mark said...

I know Noah will get killed for the searsucker b/c its cool to hate Noah these days but I think its a pretty fresh look. Maybe its b/c I'm from the South.

Also, his. sister is pretty damn hot.

Mark said...

Gators are everywhere. Nice "great to be a florida gator" chant going in the Garden.

I'm biased but he's gonna be very good in the NBA. He's a great rebounder/shot blocker and the pace that the NBA game is going will work in his favor in the future.

Mark said...

Spencer Hawes to Sacramento? He and Brad Miller should have fun hunting together.

Mark said...

One more thing on Noah. Learnign the intricacies of rebounding and d.efense from Wallace early in his career will help him immeasurably

Mark said...

Acie Law to the Hawks is curious. He's very good but they need a more pass first point to set up all those young wings. I think the jury is out on how he'll mesh with this team.

Mark said...

Anybody else get a look at Acie Law's girl. Nice work.

Mark said...

Philly takes Thaddues Young? I'm not sure I like that. First, I think he's a possible bust. Second, where does he play? At the 3? I would've rather had Thornton if you're taking a 3.

I guess they don't think very highly of Carney. Not that I blame them.

Mark said...

I love Julian wright but how does he make sense for NO? They need shooting and they take a guy who can do everythign but shoot?

I can't figure out where he'll play for them.

Mark said...

Al Thornton being drafted clearly means that Maggette is on the way out.

Also, he's another guy on LA who needs the ball. I would've taken Nick Young. You've got to love a 24 year old with braces.

Mark said...

This just in: My girlfriend thinks Jay Bilas is cute. I don't know how to react to that.

Stuckey to detroit, the worst kept secret in the draft. Can't say I'm sold on him. He's been described as an average defender & shooter with good, not great speed.

Combo guards traditionally need to excel as a shooter or an athlete to be successful. Stuckey has neither of these. We may look back on this pick in a few years as a total waste. If you ask me, the jury's still out on dumars as a draft level talent evaluator.

Mark said...

Stephen A Smith and I just said the same thing about Dumars. I need a drink.

Young to the Wiz is a great pick. Steal of the draft at this point.

Mark said...

Worst suit of the draft.

Mark said...

WOW!!!! Zach Randolph will be dead in three months in NY. I like him but I don't know how he plays with Eddy Curry at the same time. Still a good trade (at first glance) for NY.

Mark said...

Speaking of guys who'll be dead in 3 months in NY/NJ...Sean Williams.

Mark said...

The WOP is a good fit with GS. He can handle, shoot, and run. He should fit in well with Nellie.

Also, Crittenton is the other player I think has major bust potential in the top 20. I just don't quite buy him at the point. He's turnover prone and he overdribbles. I think he's a pretty bad fit in the triangle.

Mark said...

We've reached the point in this draft where anybody could be picked by any team.

As an example...Jason Smith. At least he'll get to bang a bunch of models before he goes off to play in Spain.

Mark said...

Josh McRoberts to Philly. I'm calling it right now. King loves his Duke guys.

Mark said...

I'd like to punch mark Jackson every time he says "you're better than that". Shut up asshole.

Mark said...

Maybe I was wrong. Philly went with a different white stiff. I kind of like Daquean Cook for Miami. Him, Wade and Dorrell wright is a hell of a perimeter combo (potentially) in the future.

Mark said...

Classic text from TJ:

Sean williams, Weakness: Bong Handling

Mark said...

WHOA!!!! Thats way too early for Dudley. Of course, Vitale loves him. He'll be a good player but I don't think he's got a real position in the NBA. Charlotte is a joke as an organization. ALMOST as bad as the Magic.

On another note: Dan Dickau's been traded at least 4 times already in his career. (I think more). i think he's got a shot at the all time record. A proud day for the Dickau clan.

Mark said...

I never get draft promises. Either way, everyone new Chandler was going to NY. The Knicks have alot of tweener forwards at this point.

Mark said...

Phoenix is selling a 1st round pick for the second year in a row. I don't get it. There's not a single player who can help push you over the hump?

I know that Rondo would've helped spell Nash last year.

Mark said...

Perfect example: Fernandez doesn't make the Suns bench more formidable?

Also, Spike Lee needs to shutup. He went nuts over the Balkman pick last year. Does he think the camera wasn't on him last year? What a douche. Its not just him either. Now every Knicks fan loves Thomas again b/c of the Randolph trade? I'm telling you. There will be chemistry issues between him and Eddy Curry and their payroll is still sky high. Remember, Randolph makes max money.

Mark said...

Almond seems to fit in well in utah. I haven't seen much of him but I ahve to say that I think he looks pretty unathletic from his film. That would worry me at the 2. He's still an upgrade ove Giricek though.

Mark said...

I've got to say I'm very surprised that Aaron Brooks went in the 1st. I guess Houston is looking for shoot first points. Rafer Alston, Mike James AND Brooks?

I'm utterly convinced that most NBA GMs have no idea how parts are supposed to fit.

Greg said...

Let's talk about Jeff Green to the Celts....seems sort of "reachy".

Mark said...

Just got off the phone with Burr and TJ. I think its a reach too but he's going to seattle. I don't get why you take him and durant. Don't they play the same position.

Just heard this about Koponen (the finnish pg): He has trouble getting in the lane. Thats encouraging for a kid who played against high school comp in his only action in the US.

Greg said...

Pierce, Jefferson, Green and Ray Allen isn't a bad nucleus for the C's .

Mark said...

I agree but I think its problematic that there's such an age difference b/w Allen/Pierce and everybody else.

Also, I'm starting to think I might be right on Dumars. Afflalo in the 1st? Its like he just looked for the two guards who most resembled his current guards and drafted them. I don't see how Afflalo ever starts on a championship contender in the NBA.

Mark said...

Marcus williams doesn't seem like a Spurs kind of player. Maybe going there will be good for him.

Alando Tucker to Phoenix is stragne to me too. He can't shoot which is exaclty waht they ask of their of their wings. i guess he's a defensive stopper for them who'll continue to grow offensively.

Mark said...

Big Baby's a good player but he seems an awful like Jefferson and Perkins. Why do these GMs keep duplicating their players?

HORRIBLE Oprah joke by Bilas absolutely kills. Kill ME now.

Mark said...

If Boston had a pg they could be pretty scary offensively. of course, all they have is Rondo. (This is in regard to the Allen trade. is till think the Davis pick is curious)

Mark said...

This has been a great draft for (the always fun) cash considerations.

Mark said...

Portland has an unbelievable overload of young players at this point. They are putting together potential juggernaut at this point.

McRoberts is a pretty good pick at 37. They're loaded with young talent in both the backcourt (Roy, Jack, Fernandez, Koponen, etc.) and the frontcourt (Oden, Aldridge, McRoberts).

Mark said...

The Magic are gonna get somebody I like. There's guys available right now who I hadn't even considered. Green, Byars and Ra...shhhh!

Mark said...

I know it sounds stupid but I think Sun Yue will fit in the triangle well, given few years.

Mark said...

Wow! Chris Richard goes ahead of Taurean Green. Upset of the night. Minnesota is so odd though, didn't they take Craig Smith last year? He and Richard are awfully similar as undersized, dirty work forwards.

Mark said...

Brandan Wright is a great p/u for GS. He'll get tons of easy looks in transition and he won't be leaned upon to be a go to scorer for a few years. This trade is one of the best things that could've happened for his career.

Mark said...

Orlando is on the clock...

Greg said...

Reyshawn....I like it. I'm very happy about this pick.

Mark said...

Reyshawn Terry. i'm okay with that. I'd much prefer Sessions but Terry is a nice addition who I think can play for a long time in the NBA. I also think he can play early on in Orlando. hopefully this means that Turkoglu is on his way out.

Mark said...

I'm happier with this pick than either of the the last couple first rounders.

Mark said...

alright. I'm done here for the rest of the night.

Greg said...

Me too. Better than Reddick or Fran Fucking Vazquez....who I didn't like even BEFORE he decided to never play in the US. He's scared of too much success and money and having a good time. I hate him.

Mark said...

Taurean Green goes at 52 to Portland. I wished he'd have gone somewhere that he'd have a chance to play earlier. Portland has 3 other PGs at this point (all young). Oh well. Portland makes yet another good pick.

Greg said...

...and the Magicians end up with Milovan Rakovic and "cash considerations" which I guess they need because they're poor or something.

It looks like they're trying to bring in either Rashard Lewis or Gerald Wallace and let Darko go.

I guess the thinking is, "we might be able to sign one of either Lewis or Wallace or Darko...but not two of the three". Trading away Terry for the Milovan Rakovic adds to our Serbian quota and makes Darko a little more expendable.

Is a Lewis/Wallace and Rakovic combo better than a Terry/Darko combo?

Probably. But I know nothing about Rakovic. I like Darko but he's still young and we're still waiting for that "breakout year" where he fills the potential that so many saw in him years ago.

T.J. said...

Who's excited about the Rashard Lewis era?