Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Let's all meet up at The Max...

Ugh. I feared this day would soon be upon us. I tried to convince myself that the Orlando Magic had changed their collective ways. I even somehow rationalized that Otis Smith would operate differently than every other Magic GM to come before him, based on his previous NBA experience. Which is to say, he actually played basketball as opposed to predecessors like John Gabriel and (gulp) John Weisbrod. However, in my heart of hearts, I knew. I knew that the Magic wouldn't be able to sit on a ton of salary cap room without making the proverbial "big splash" in free agency, even with the promise of possibly the greatest free agent class ever looming on the horizon in 2008. Even though I knew all of this, I wasn't prepared to see the Magic sign a one dimensional player like Rashard Lewis to the a max contract. Yes, you read that right. The maximum contract allowable under NBA guidelines. For a player who's never been anything other than the second best player on his own team. Did I mention that said team has made the playoffs exactly once in the last 5 years? Umm, yeah...that too.

As if signing Lewis for 5 yrs./$85 million (banging head against desk) wasn't bad enough it looks as if the Magic won't be able to retain Darko Milicic as a result of this completely overpriced contract. Listen, I'm not in love with Darko's game. Hell, I'm not even making eyes at it at this point (give me a few drinks) but he is a young, skilled big man who fits well with the Orlando franchise, otherwise known as Dwight Howard. There's still hope that Darko can be retained by virtue of a sign and trade with Seattle but, frankly, I can't think of a single player on Orlando who would pique new Seattle GM Sam Presti's interest. Not unless the Sonics ae looking to cultivate their Puerto Rican fanbase through the acquisition of Carlos Arroyo.
I'm hoping I come around on this signing the more I think (and drink) about it over the next couple of days but right now it's awfully hard to figure out how the Magic have significantly improved their future by pinning their hopes to a 6'10" small forward who's never averaged over 7 rbs, 2.5 asts or even a measly 1 blk a game over the span of his nine year career. Sure, he's an upgrade over Hedo Turkoglu but the last time I checked, Hedo wasn't making anything near $17 million a year. At least I have another excuse to get bombed tonight.

13 comments:

Greg said...

What if the 'gic dumped Dooling, Garrity and Battie so they could keep Darko? I think it could happen, but it's a bit much to give up for one player.

Mark said...

That would be fine with me. Garrity's been done for years now and Battie is nothing more than a 4th big on a good team. The Magic would miss Dooling's energy off the bench but Ariza gives them that at a cheaper rate.

I'm okay with the Magic dumping those guys and any of the following as well: Turkoglu, Bogans, Arroyo, Nelson, Redick, Diener, Outlaw & Augustine. I'm not sure why Seattle would any of these guys (or those you mentioned) but if that's the case then I'm all for it.

Greg said...

I could see Seattle taking Turkoglu because he's a pretty good scorer and maybe Dooling (decent bench guy) and maybe Nelson (defensive liability but still a good PG and young enough to have "potential"). Of course, if this were a true sign-and-trade, Seattle would probably also want some future second round draft picks and possible cash considerations.

Greg said...

Let's talk about the positives of Lewis in Orlando....I need to be in a good mood today.

1) He'll provide a more dynamic offensive presence which the Magic haven't had since T-Mac.

2) Big off-seasons could sell some more season tickets...(I'm really reaching here).

That's all I got.

Mark said...

I guess I could see Seattle wanting Dooling's presence coming off the bench. (They might have been impressed when he bodyslammed Ray Allen a couple years ago). As for Turk, I'm not sure where they play him with Durant and Green there. Unless they don't care about positions and just plan on playing a tone of zone when Durant, Green and he are on the floor together. As for Nelson, they've already got Ridnour, Watson and Delonte West at the point. Wouldn't the Magic have to get back at least one of those guys?

One thing I am sure of is that the Magic could trade some 2nd round picks (they always do) and cash considerations (ditto).

Mark said...

Other positives to acquiring Lewis:

1) He's a proven shooter who'll spread the floor and give Howard space to operate on the block.

2) He can carry the offense for stretches which, as you mentioned, is something Orlando hasn't had since T-Mac.

3)He'll get the fans excited enough to push through legislation on a new arena...maybe.

4) He's only 27 and coming off the best (statistical) season of his career. Of course, many would say thats b/c this was a contract year.

Oh right, good moods today. Well, you're off work tomorrow. How about that?

CFunk28 said...

how about trading the draft rights to Fran Fucking Vasquez? Who wouldn't want that?

Mark said...

I hate you.

CFunk28 said...

My day is complete then.

I don't have to work Thurs or Fri. 5 day weekend mutha fucka

Greg said...

I hate you. I have to work TOMORROW!!! Fourth of July and I've got to be in the office.

Mark said...

Wow, Greg. Are you doing on-site work in Lebanon these days? When did your job get so shitty?

I'm off for the next two days, by the way.

Greg said...

Fine. Take the next two days off of work if you want. See if I care.

Later James Spader? Know who he is? Golden Globe much?

Greg said...

Trade Turkoglu for Ron Artest? I like it...