Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Prrrrr...What happened to that boy?


I know that title is about the most obvious title to any post that involves anything related to Chris Andersen, but honestly, how could I resist the chance to quote the lyrical genius that is Baby aka The Birdman? I couldn’t help myself. Which means that I have at least one thing, besides being white, in common with the now vanquished NBA player who was known for his high flying play and often ridiculous antics (like the Greg Brady perm he got for the playoffs two years ago). You’ll hear a lot of people say how “sad” it is that Chris Andersen threw away almost $13 million, but in reality it’s nothing other than a great example of one man’s stupidity. Unless he failed the test on purpose (I’m looking at you Keon Clark), it’s awfully tough to look at Andersen and wonder what the hell he was thinking when he decided that the NBA lifestyle wasn’t one worth making a few sacrifices for. Let’s be honest, the NBA isn’t exactly renowned for its strict drug policy. Basically, the NBA tells it’s players, “Lay off the hard stuff and we’ll look the other way on weed and whatnot.” Yet, somehow Chris Andersen was unable to “Just Say No” or more appropriately “Just Say Wait Until the Offseason” when I can flush my system of this shit before Dave Stern and Co. come calling on me during training camp. At least now his performance in last year’s Dunk Contest makes a little more sense to me.

Tonight marks the first time this year that the Florida Gators will play a regular season game on national television, as the Gators will appear on ESPN2 tonight to take on Ole Miss. I haven’t taken the time to look up the statistics, but I’m pretty sure that this is the latest any Gator Basketball team in the last 6 years has made it’s first appearance on the ESPN family of networks (excluding The Ocho, of course). Considering where most prognosticators had Florida pegged in the preseason this is entirely understandable. What I am having some trouble understanding is how this Gator team is going to get through the next couple of weeks without severely hurting their NCAA Tournament seeding. Billy Donovan and the boys were having enough trouble covering for the injured Corey Brewer on the perimeter before Lee Humphrey got into a bike accident on campus Sunday night, leaving him out for up to 3 weeks. When word first surfaced of the accident, most Gators assumed that it had occurred while Humphrey was riding a scooter. When, in actuality, this entire accident could have been avoided if Humphrey hadn’t been riding a bicycle around campus like some kind of bama. I think this accident is most frustrating because it never should have happened in the first place, if for no other reason than Lee Humphrey had no business being on a bike to begin with.

It’s pretty common knowledge amongst Gators that every student-athlete at UF owns (or has regular access to) their own motor scooter. In fact, it’s become sort of a running joke amongst the student body and alumni. These motor scooters can be seen all over campus and are rather easy to identify. Whenever you see somebody riding around on a purple scooter, it’s a pretty safe bet that the rider is some type of athlete at UF. One of my fondest memories (not involving alcohol) of my time at Florida is a direct result of the “athletic scooter” as it’s come to be known. The story goes something like this: During the Spring of 2000, I had most of my classes in the Florida Gym, which sits right next to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. As you might have guessed, an extremely large percentage of the football team also had a large majority of their classes in this facility as well. One of these players was Jabar Gaffney, who happened to be coming off of a record setting season as a Freshman WR for the University of Florida. One day as classes were letting out, I along with many other students were exiting the Florida Gym. Jabar Gaffney was part of this group and was about to make his way towards his scooter when he saw what appeared to be a young boy trying to steal his scooter. Now, I’m not sure if he hotwired it or what, but the boy in question had managed to start up the scooter. Upon seeing this, Gaffney immediately yelled out. Startled, the boy attempted to take off on the scooter which he ended up wrecking on the curb. As he looked up, he quickly realized that Gaffney was now in pursuit of him. So the boy jumped up and ran away as fast as he could. Mind you, this kid was around 13 or 14 years old. Needless to say, he didn’t get very far before Gaffney caught up with him. In fact, Gaffney caught up to him right as the boy reached a large fountain on UF’s campus. As Gaffney caught up, he grabbed the kid and then proceeded to tackle him into the wishing well area of the fountain. Apparently not convinced that his dismay had been adequately displayed, Gaffney then continued to dunk the young man (repeatedly) into the water of the fountain. Eventually Gaffney relented and the UFPD showed up to put and end to the unfortunate incident, but not before I nearly peed myself laughing in front of a couple hundred people.

Why did I tell this story? Well, because I think it’s one of the greatest things I’ve ever had the pleasure to witness, and because I think it adequately displays the lack of concern most UF athletes have when it comes to the publication of the use of the aforementioned “athletic scooters” (this incident made its way into many a paper in the Sunshine State) as well as how unnecessary it is for a starter on the Men’s Basketball team to be riding around campus on a goddamned mountain bike. So I guess the real question should be: Why did Lee Humphrey decide that he should rely on his bicycle as his means of transportation on a rainy night in Gainesville when he had access to (at least) a motor scooter? Well, because he’s a bama from Tennessee, that’s why.

In more University of Florida news, tomorrow is National Signing Day for College Football. Though the Gators have wrapped up most of their class (currently ranked #1 in the country) there are always quite a few surprises on this day as players often have the kind of last minute change of heart that one should expect from 17 and 18 year old kids. I actually know some people who take the day off of work in order to stay as up to date on the signings as possible. While I’m not quite that sick, I’d be willing to bet that there’s a 90% chance of me accomplishing absolutely nothing during the workday tomorrow. Not that that is a whole lot different from what’s been going on all day today.

Finally, TJ posted

23 comments:

Mark said...

Good to know that I serve some purpose in your life. By the way, how are you holding up these days now that you and join are officially calling it quits? Tough times, I'm sure.

One more note: Guess whose first day as the Supervisor of Spring Training for the Nationals was today? If you guessed Harvey Fraser III then you sir, are correct. I can't wait to go to Spring games at the Stadium now.

Mark said...

By "join" I mean John, of course.

CFunk28 said...

Second to the cop story? I'm putting it a distant 2nd to another story that happened at Chowan. Its about the only story that doesn't involve Coach Burke. I hope you know which one I mean.

Good for Harvey Dixon. Its good to know people in high places.

Joe, your ass better come to Seattle for the draft. If Hughes and I are flying across the country you better be able to drive 6 hours.

Mark said...

Even better to know people who allow you to work "above" B&B and not in the Manatee room. God the thought of them working out of cubicles in the Manatee room just never, ever gets old.

I think I have an idea of what story you're referring to.

As for the Draft, I was going to threaten you Joe but after Calvin's comment I'm going to assume that you've been adequately intimidated to persuade you to join us in Seattle.

John said...

I think we can all agree Chris Andersen just wanted to take some time off the NBA to pursue his other career as lead singer of Puddle of Mudd.

Don't you guys just wish we were stuck in the Manatee room with them right now? How long would you have given me or Hughes until we flipped over a desk and shouted obscenities?

Mark said...

Good call on Andersen. Puddle of Mudd does need some studio time for their next album.

As for the Manatee room, I'd definitely say that either John or myself would end up flipping out before lunch time on the first day. Seriously, can you imagine having to listen in on all of Buck's inane phone conversations all day?

"Jumping thru hoops"
"Rock n' Roll Big Dog"
"Just putting things in the hopper"
"I've been here since six this morning."

Shoot me now.

CFunk28 said...

Isn't Puddle of Mud the band that sang the "I like the way you spank my ass" song? If so, they've been hurting without the Bird Man.

As far as one of you flipping out goes I'm pretty sure that would have happened as soon as the announcement was made that the staff was moving into the Manatees Room. It would have been instant carnage.

And Joe, 8 hours is nothing for a Panda. Just make sure you pack a little extra bamboo for the trip.

Jerry said...

What's up with Harvin? I hear USC is trying to steal him. Urban had better lock that down.

Mark said...

Harvin already faxed over LOI, he's just waiting to annoucne officially this afternoon. So far it hasn't been the greatest day for UF. Partially b/c Meyer already had so many guys in the fold for so long now that there's not the normal level of excitement over guys "picking" us on NSD. Another factor is Florida losing a CB they thought was a solid commit to FSU and not winning a couple of late decisions that many thought were at least semi-possible. Guys like CJ Spiller (Clemson?, Orlando Franklin (Miami) and Andre Smith (Bama). either way, Florida should still end up #1 or (at worst) #2.

John said...

I'm about 100% sure I'm going to drive to Auburn right now and burn that place down. Not only did they beat us this season 48-7, they're also winning every single one-on-one recruiting battle with us. I hate that place with a passion that's reaching the Clemson/Georgia level. Also, Clemson got Spiller, which makes me want to vomit all over the place.

We'll probably end up with a top 25 class, which sounds great, until you realize there are 8 other SEC teams and Clemson ahead of us.

I will now go bathe in a bathtub full of razorblades and pretzel salt.

Jerry said...

I've just been reading up for the past couple of days and I didn't expect much from Smith and Spiller. They seemed like longshots. I watched Smith's press conference and he didn't look like he seriously considered going anywhere but Bama.

How big was losing McDaniel? Was he semi-pushed out because of the depth of the class or was Urban still pushing for him?

Overall, it's a huge class for Florida. No great news today, but it's still a ridiculous class.

Mark said...

Auburn is getting it from Louisville right now. I guess they're taking out their frustrations on your boys John. I can undertstand your anger at Spiller ending up at Clemson. Though I must say that I'm mildy pleased by that result. I had figured he was going to rip off his shirt to reveal and FSU jersey or something. He just felt like a Nole to me.

Andre Smith was Bama all the way. In my opinion it would've been the biggest shock in recruiting this year if he had chosen anywhere other than Bama.

Mark said...

McDaniel wasn't a huge loss. He started to waffle a couple of weeks back and was looking at taking other visits and (from what I hear) Meyer and Co. basically told him that he could either pledge his allegiance to UF or start looking elsewhere. Alot of people have surmised that he was tired of playing in Harvin's shadow. We'll see how that turns out.

The bigger loss (IMO) was Damian Williams (Ark). He was one of UF's earliest commits and a guy who flew up the recruiting boards as the high school season progressed. I thought that he was the best prospect of all the incoming WR's (other than Harvin). Good speed and great moves with the ball in his hands. He de-committed two nights ago after 5-6 months of being committed. Not only was it a tough loss, but the staff couldn't make up for it b/c it happened during the "dead" (no contact) period.

John said...

I came up with this idea last night. I call this the "Kenny Irons Theory":

You recruit a stud RB, then make him loads of promises and then don't play him (thanks, Lou), inexplicably let him transfer to an in-conference opponent that is on your schedule for the next two years (horrendous decision), watch him trounce you on national television, then wonder why all your one-on-one recruiting battles go the other way?

He's no doubt badmouthing SC, the town, the campus, the classes (as if he ever went.) He has firsthand knowledge of what it's like to go there and is no doubt feeding these recruits every negative thing he can think of. No wonder we lost out on no less than four recruits who had narrowed it down to us and Auburn. Although Spurrier didn't let him get away, his influence sure is hurting recruiting, in my opinion.

Mark, I agree that UF will definitely wish you had gotten Williams, any team would, but having Harvin should ease the pain just a bit. Unfortunately, Arkansas is our constant rival from the West, and I'm not looking forward to the Mustain/McFadden/Williams combo for the next few years. The Matt Jonesera was frustrating enough, this might finally push me over the edge.

CFunk28 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CFunk28 said...

I would put money down right now that Mitch Mustain has a Ron Powlus type career. He really seems like a bust to me.

Bowling Green is actually putting together a decent class including the kicker from Cocoa High. Pretty crazy.

If John Cooper was such a great recruiter then how the hell is it that since Tressel has been there the number of Ohio kids leaving the state has dropped to a bare minimum? I mean you still get the Catholics who want to play for ND, but UM and PSU don't see a whole lot anymore. This is obviously a result of the recruiting tactics of Tricky Dick Tressel.

Mark said...

John,

Good call on Kenny Irons. That's why it's so inexpicable when a school let's a high talent guy transfer to one of their in-conference foes. There's just too many things that can go wrong in that situation. Bowden is famous for his rules on transfers. It's almost always limited to schools out of conference and off the schedule for the reaminder of that player's tenure.

Mark said...

Funny how you mention that about Tressel. Jerry comented on how Tressle ahs basically put up walls (recruiting wise) around the state of Ohio since he got there. More proff of how valuable it is to have a coach that understands in-state tradition and politics.

As for the Arkansas guys. The thought of McFadden (an absolute beast) and Williams playing together is pretty scary. I, too , think Mustain is overrated. His arm strenght is average and I personally think he ahs benefited greatly from being surrounded by 3 other High level Div-1 talents around him on offense. In the end I think peopel will realize that Williams helped make Mustain, not the other way around.

Mark said...

The kicker from Cocoa is supposed to be pretty solid. Then again, I'm basing that on the reporting of the Fla. Today.

Mark said...

Greg: How did you know that I'm friends with Wondy Pierre-Louise? Without a doubt, my favorite Haitian corner in the calss of 2006.

Mark said...

I just started laughing at the thought of it as well. I'm pretty sure there isn't a single scenario involving J.W. LaChapelle being beaten that doesn't inspire laughter on my part. I bet we could convince Wondy to do it too, as some sort of initiation ritual. He wouldn't know any better, he's from Haiti.

Mark said...

John,

According to Rivals.com Carolina had the #24 rated class and #33 according to Scout.com. I'll help you hunt down Kenny Irons if you want...

T.J. said...

Florida recruiting...

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=1709