Monday, January 09, 2006

Present...Future...Past

Right Now:

I'm not even going to bother recapping the Bucs home playoff loss to the Skins in this space today. Instead I'll quickly touch on what I think the organization should be doing in order to prepare this team for the transition that certainly awaits it within the next couple of years. Mostly because it's easier for me to focus on a future that seems to undoubtedly be a bright one today than it is for me to relive a game that left me especially crestfallen.

Now, I know what I said on Friday about being content with the season that the Bucs had (win or lose), but that's a little harder pill to swallow when your team finishes up the season in the manner in which Tampa Bay did. I'm not sure what pissed me off more, the Bucs managing to give the Redskins 14 of their 17 points, or the fact that Tampa still had ample opportunity to win this game, only to watch victory slip away through an unfortunate confluence of questionable officiating and horrible offensive execution. If I can take solace in anything, its that I know the Bucs stood little to no chance or coming out of Seattle with a "W" this coming weekend. Even with that, there is still a certain feeling of emptiness that results from your team being unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs (at home) in the Wild Card round. Fortunately enough for me, I was able to fill that emptiness with large amounts of alcohol and cheese balls on Saturday night.

What's Next:

It is now incumbent upon Bucs management to start assembling some young talent on the defensive side of the ball. Even though this defense finished the season as the NFL's #1 rated unit, it's not exactly filled with young up-and comers (apologies to Dewayne White and Will Allen). If the Bucs are committed to success (and I assume they are) it would behoove them to start working on bringing in some young talent (via free agency and the draft) to help bridge the gap between the likes of Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber before they (and a number of other defensive stalwarts) are too far past their prime to effectively contribute and mentor the young pups.

Offensively, most of the pieces are in place (asssuming that Michael Clayton decides that he wants to play football again) for what should prove to be a formidable and prolific unit for years to come. Despite a number of personnel decisions that I lambasted at the time, (Chris Simms & Michael Clayton to name a couple) the Buccaneer front office has proven it's worth when it comes to both talent evaluation and player development in recent years. The only remaining task that stands in the way of this franchise being a consistent playoff team for many years to come, is to effectively apply those same techniques to the acqusition of young defensive playmakers. Both the linebacker and the corner positions immediately come to mind when thinking of areas that could use a little youthful infusion. Finally, because of the quality of the current defense, the Bucs are in the enviable position of not having to reach for a player at a specific position come April. Thereby allowing them to focus on taking the best defensive player available in this April's draft.

Finally, here's an article that ran in Rolling Stone recently that I found especially interesting. It will take you a while to read it, so make sure you give yourself enough time away from work to allow it.

One last thing that I almost forgot: On the heels of an impressive road victory over the University of Georgia on Saturday, the University of Florida Men's Basketball team has risen to #2 in the polls. Congratulations and Go Gators!

4 comments:

Mark said...

Good point on the OTs. I didn't mention O-Line but that is an area that has seemingly been in constant need of improvement for 5 or 6 years now. I'd ahve no problme with them going after a good tackle in round one. I like all three of those guys, though I know much less about O'Callaghan. You can always add some line depth in free agency, you just need to be careful how much you spend.

Mark said...

As for the defense, Bolden is below average as a cover corner, but he's probably as good as the Bucs are going to be able to get from a third corner, unless they're willing to tie some more money up in their corners (I'm not convinced they are.

I'm not sold on Phillips and think he lacks a little of the natural instinct that you like to see from a starting strong safety. I'd like to see if they can improve that position. As for the linebackers, Ruud looks to be coming along nicely but they have a definite need for at least one more good young LB. Both Quarles and Brooks are on borrowed time at this point. While they may play for a couple of more years, the Bucs need to be prepared for the departure whether expected or not (via injury).

With regards to the receivers, I think/hope that this season wills erve to light a fire under Clayton. However, Galloway isn't getting any younger and the Bucs would be wise to look towards getting a viable deep threat to eventually replace him. I forgot about Larry Brackins, it would certainly be interesting to know what kind of progress he's made.

Mark said...

A couple of final things:

Completely agree on Griese. My one concern is Gruden's apparent love for Griese. He's said numerous times that the offense isn't the same without him. While this may be true (now), I think he has to realize that the overall potential for Simms is far greater than for Griese, who pretty much is who he is, as a player, at this point in his career.

I'd be shocked if teh Bucs weren't able to re-sign Walker. He IS much improved, but he's got a rep around the league (lazy) that will hurt him in any contract talks. I'd welcome him back provided that the BUcs are able to sign him at a reasonable price. That shouldn't be an issue but we've all seen stranger thins happen during free agency.

Mark said...

Yeah, Alstott's done in my opinion. As for TO, I really can't see Gruden getting himself involved in that sort of drama again, not after Keyshawn.

You're right about Gruden and his QBs, he's always going to be tweaking the starter and pumping up the backups, unless he has a perennial All Pro back there.