Thursday, January 19, 2006

Ugliness abounds...

By now, you’ve heard every single stinking opinion about Peyton Manning that you can stand and, more than likely, quite a few that you can’t. Personally, I thought the funniest thing that’s been said was the article in the Tennessean that called for the Colts to sign Tee Martin in order to allow them to actually win in the playoffs. As a Florida fan and someone who watched Manning fail up close and personal for four years, I took a sick sort of pleasure in watching him dance around nervously all day Sunday as he airmailed balls far beyond the reach of his receivers. This was the Manning that I remembered from his collegiate years. Not the entirety of his collegiate years, mind you. Just one September Saturday each year when he had to take on the University of Florida. Each year, without fail, Manning would come into this game with the highest of expectations only to end up with a horrible case of happy feet and, of course, the dreaded (but always fun) Manning face. It was this propensity for disappearing in the biggest of games (make no mistake about it during the mid-90s UF-Tenn. , by far, the preeminent SEC game of the year) that was most responsible for my pre-draft proclamation that Ryan Leaf, not Peyton Manning, would be the more successful NFL passer of the two when they entered the NFL in 1998. Obviously, I was dead wrong when it came to the Leaf vs. Manning debate. There is a simple reason for that, and that reason is this: I failed to see in my youth that Manning was a prolific and skilled passer. Someone capable of picking apart even the best designed defensive schemes and the highest levels of talent. I had confused Manning’s ability to be an effective QB with his inability to harness his emotions during the games (and moments) that matter most. Quarterback, perhaps more than any position in sports (aside from maybe closer), demands a certain level of coolness and an ability to rise above the tension of the moment when your team and franchise need it most. Elway had it, Montana had it, Brady has it, even Marino for all he lacked in championships, had it. Manning didn’t have it at Tennessee and everybody in Orange and Blue knew it. Everybody on the Gator sidelines knew that eventually they’d be able to get to him and force him into a game changing mistake. That’s why myself and so many other Gator fans never thought he’d be successful in the NFL. Though we were ultimately wrong, that lack of composure when it’s most needed is why, despite all his regular season success, the jury is still out on Manning as one of the all time greats.

It's that time of year for the Mannings.

Finally, I don’t mean to pile on a guy who’s had a hell of a tough month or so, but any Buccaneers fan above the age of 13 recognized what he/she saw out of the Colts on Sunday afternoon. We recognized it, because that’s exactly how the Bucs looked in each of their final three playoff appearances under Tony Dungy. Dungy is undoubtedly a very good coach who gets his teams to play disciplined, fundamental football. However, those very same teams do seem to lack a certain killer instinct when January. I don’t know the reason for it, but I do know that it’s officially become a pattern for Tony Dungy coached football teams.

While I’m on the topic of things that happened last week, I might as well mention the Cavs-Lakers game from last Thursday. I stayed up to watch and was very glad that I did as it turned out to be a great game. Regardless of what you may think about Kobe personally, there is little denying that he is without peer when it comes to late game heroics in today’s NBA. Though LeBron is superior to Kobe in a number of areas of the game (passing, rebounding) at this stage of his career, LeBron is still light years behind Kobe when it comes to the intangible quality of competitive fire. Kobe wouldn’t allow his team to lose, first by stroking three consecutive (and extremely tough) jumpers down the stretch and second, by playing lock down defense on LeBron during the game’s final minutes. If this game showed me anything its that, while he may already be great, LeBron still has a very long way to go before he can even hope to approach Kobe as a competitor and consequently, a defensive player. It will be the further cultivation of these traits that ultimately determine LeBron’s place in history.

After the game ended, I went to bed but not before recording Inside the NBA. Though I find the antics of the show quite amusing at times, I don’t normally record it. On this night though, the show was to feature a special piece by Jim Huber (as always, doing his best Frank Deford impression) on Drazen Petrovic. I’m not quite sure why, but I’ve always had a special love for Drazen. I can even remember being a little sad when news of his death appeared on SportsCenter one summer many years ago. Normally, European players evoke very little interest from me but something about the way that Drazen played struck a chord with me. He had a confidence in his abilities that was unheard of amongst Euros at the time (and still is for many Euro transplants in the NBA) and, more importantly, was a fantastically clutch player. Anyway, I taped Inside the NBA and ended up watching the piece on Drazen on Friday afternoon. It was a very interesting story with some great quotes from Chuck Daly as well as some of Drazen’s former teammates. What I found most astounding about the piece was the conversation that Huber had with Drazen’s older brother about Petro’s first game for Cibona which is the team based in Petro’s hometown of Zagreb. Here is Drazen’s line in his debut for Cibona: 22-22 FTs, 40-60 FGs, 10-20 3FGs for a total of 112 points.

I just thought a line like that should be shared. I don’t care how weak the competition in Europe was at the time, that is AMAZING. One last item that I found noteworthy: Drazen Petrovic’s mother’s name is Bizerka. No word on whether her love is like a ticking clock.

In keeping with the theme of forced segues, I’d like to address another basketball related item, specifically the UConn Huskies. In my opinion, this is absolutely the best team in America. Now that Marcus Williams is back in the lineup, I’d be absolutely shocked if this team doesn’t at least make the Final Four. The difference in this team when Williams is running the show is enormous. He is the best “true” point guard in America, hands down. Along those same lines, Josh Boone should be forced to give 10% of his salary next year to Williams. Now that Williams is back, Boone is going to end up being selected in the middle of the first round when before Williams’ return, Boone was on his way to winning the “Terrence Morris Memorial Award for Player Who Most Torpedoed his own Draft Status by Returning to School”.

Speaking of guys who’ll end up being selected in the first round this year, can’t you just wait for some team like the Wizards to reach on Hilton Armstrong with a top ten pick? I know that I’m excited.

While we’re here, has anybody seen Pervis Ellison lately? Does he still have those dreads? If so, I’d really love to see a recent picture.

Finally, I wanted to apologize to both Calvin Booth and Michael Ruffin for leaving them off of my All-Ugly team last week. After watching the both of you up close against the Magic last night, I can safely say that you are both amongst the Top 5 ugliest guys in the NBA today. In fact, when you think about it, there’s a very real chance that this Wizards team is the ugliest NBA team since the 2001 Sacramento Kings. Just look at the roster, in addition to the freak show that is the Ruffin-Booth tandem, the Wiz also boast the likes of Antawn Jamison, Jared Jeffries, Awvee Storey ( I had to look him up too), Caron Butler, Googly-eyed Brendan Haywood, and the monster that is Peter John Ramos. Seriously, this is definitely the league’s ugliest team…and its not even close. Though I’d be remiss if I didn’t at least mention that Michael Ruffin more than makes up for his hideous appearance with his comedic stylings. Case in point: During last night’s fourth quarter, Ruffin managed to bank a free throw in on his first attempt and then followed up that masterpiece with an airball. I’m pretty sure that even Eddie Jordan was laughing after that one.

13 comments:

CFunk28 said...

That forehead rivals Peyton Manning's chalkboard forehead.

I totally agree w/ you about Boone. He seems motivated to work now.

Mike Patrick compared JJ Redick to Mark Price again last night. My plans to hunt him down and cut out his tongue are already underway.

CFunk28 said...

This was on Foxsports.com's Top 10 Made up calls that NFL refs can make:

Looking like Corky from Life Goes On and blaming the offensive line for your serialized playoff failures — 15 yards.

Awesome...

Mark said...

You can never go wrong with a Corky reference, comedic gold.

Funny you mentioned Mike Patrick's comment, When I heard him say it again last night, I immediately thought of you and was actually on my way to your blog to leave a little note about it...JJ Redick is the new Mark Price, hahahaha.

Mark said...

On another note, did you watch the Cavs-Nuggets game last night? LeBron's now missed the tying/winning free throws in each of the last two games that I've watched. Not a good sign.

CFunk28 said...

I was actually going to write about that. He's got to be the most inconsistent 75% FT shooter ever. Every game I watch he goes like 4-10. I just don't understand it.

And how about him passing to Pavlovic after Pavlovic missed both of those FTs? That had me screaming and swearing at him.

Mark said...

A disturbing pattern is developing for him late in games...I'm just saying.

Jerry said...

I don't have a good recollection of those UF-UT games, but it strikes me as unfair that Manning's entire college career seems to be defined by 3 games in which his defense gave up 62, 35, and 33 points.

I don't remember if Peyton made some mistakes that lead to those points or if his picks were caused by pressing after the Vols went down early.

The guy went some thing like 35-5 as a starter and put up prolfic numbers. He lost 3 times to 3 very good Florida teams and where he didn't get much help. He averaged over 50 passing attempts in those games, which isn't exactly a receipe for success.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some heat, I'm just saying that it's often misguided.

Ian said...

Drazen was unstoppable on "Bulls vs. Blazers." His "special move" was a turnaround three from the corner that went in every time.

CFunk28 said...

I thought that you would appreciate this. Its your boy Fran Vazquez's 3-piece journal around draft time. He sound like a pretty awesome dude. Check out Freedarko.com today too. A pretty entertaining piece about Euros in the NBA.

http://freedarko.blogspot.com/2005/06/fran-vazquez-draft-diary-pt-1.html

http://freedarko.blogspot.com/2005/06/fran-vazquez-draft-diary-ostras-quien.html

http://freedarko.blogspot.com/2005/06/fran-vazquez-loteria.html

T.J. said...

Mark, do you realize how fucking unreal the Gators would be if James White had never transferred?

Mark said...

We try and not talk about James White around these parts. But since you brought it up...Technically, we wouldn't be any better this year b/c he would've already used his eligibility if he hadn't transferred early in his sophomre year.

Interestingly enough, when you look at it, the class that he was a part of (Included Lee and Kwame as well) was the class that was most responsible for Donovan's change in philosophy with regards to recruiting, so you could make the case that he WAS a good thing for the Gator Bball program.

T.J. said...

And he seems reallllly smart...

CFunk28 said...

Greg, I have no idea what you mean. Just copy the links into your address bar. It worked for me. If that doesn't work just go to freedarko.com. They have links to the journals in the article that is below the one with all the Euro drawings. The links are in the second paragraph.