Thursday, October 11, 2007

I'm a Man! I'm 30!!

Before I get too far into my day and my hangover dissipates too much I figured I’d let everybody know that yesterday was my birthday. And it was kind of a big one. I turned 30. It hasn’t had much of an effect on me (at least to this point) but it did bring home the point that I…am old. Not like can’t play sports anymore old, or wake up early on the weekends when I have nothing to do old (Fucking take me out back and shoot me if I ever start waking up @ 8:30 am for no good reason.) but old enough that the kids who work at the mall will feel like they should call me "Sir" when they’re waiting on me. (Which is fine…totally fine) Old enough that I can call collegiate athletes “kids” without coming off as extremely condescending and douchey. Well, at least anymore condescending and douchey than I normally am.

If anything, turning 30 has allowed me to look back on my 20s and realize that I had a pretty solid run for somebody with a proclivity for strong to quite strong alcoholism, inappropriate jokes about mental retardation and a suspect work ethic. Honestly, its been a pretty good ride thus far. I mean, my life doesn’t inspire constant fellatio from others like this guy, but I’m also not nearly the trainwreck that this guy has become (Give me time).

I’m assuming that most people take stock of their lives at this age and decide that they need to shape up and make some changes. Me? Well, I guess I’m not one of those people. I’m pretty good with everything going on in my life right now and I still have a few more years (fingers crossed) before my body betrays me and I have to take up golf and buy pedialyte by the case to sooth my 48 hour hangovers. Finally, two more things:

- If you haven’t been reading Rod Benson’s blog. Well, you should be. He’s in training camp with the Nets right now. He’s a pretty good writer and funny guy on top of that. He had a blog on the NBDL website last year (which was lovely). Hopefully he’ll make the Nets (who could always use an athletic big man) and keep his blog going all season long. Read the post where he talks about the two sides of Jamaal Malgoire if you want a good laugh. Oh yeah, his birthday is the same as mine so that makes him a pretty awesome dude too. (Both those other guys I linked to share a birthday with me too).

- Finally, I don’t mention my girlfriend on the blog often because I don’t figure anybody wants to read about how much I love her or how we’re redecorating our extra bedroom. Shit, I don’t even want to read about that crap. But I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention what she got me for my birthday: A bottle of Patron, a bottle of Jager and a tattoo appointment to get my sleeve finished/started on my left arm. That, my friends, is why she is truly the bee’s knees.

(Fuck, I just used bee’s knees correctly. Maybe I really am getting old.)

6 comments:

Jerry said...

Happy Birthday. It's about time you started getting into "tattoos".

Mark said...

Thanks.

Yeah, I heard that "tats" are cool with the kids so I figured this is a good way to stay hip and with it.

Greg said...

Now that you're 30, you really should get a haircut.

Mark said...

Good call.

Greg said...

I like Rod's first New Jersey observation: "people were talking with their accents, which was sweet"

T.J. said...

Welcome to the old balls club.