Friday, March 09, 2007

This post is worth exactly 39 cents...

Man alive were there some good games on last night. The night started with the news of UCLA laying an egg against a Cal team that I hadn't heard one word about all season (the Pac-10 cellar has a tendency to do that to teams) and ended with LSU eeking out a win over Tennessee despite an unbelievable tip-in by the uber-clutch Chris Lofton which was quickly followed by possibly the worst charge call I've ever witnessed. The amount of bogus charges that get whistled these days is reaching epidemic levels. Alas, that is a post for another time.

After John Brady nearly lost the game for LSU by drawing a technical in protest of said call. The Tigers managed to string together a few stops and come out victorious over Tennessee. It's a good thing too. If the game goes double OT, I think there was at least a 55% chance that Glen "Big Baby" Davis would've collapsed right there on the Georgia Dome floor. Jesus, I haven't seen somebdy panting like that since the time we convinced that Special Ed kid to snort his ritalin. All in all, it was one hell of a night of basketball. And to think, we're just getting started. These next two weekends are the only two weekends of the year in which I don't feel like a total loser if I don't go out and get drunk. That's not to say I'm not going to be a stumbling, staggering mess by midnight to night. Rather, that I'll have at least thought about staying in before succumbing to the siren song of the sauce. Anyway, here's a few thoughts about the weekend to come. If you want a little more in-depth analysis (God I can't believe I'm saying this) then heead over the G:TB and see if you can smell what TJ's cooking.
- Notre Dame is sneaky good. This is the most non-descript ND team in about five years, and somehow they're easily the best of that bunch too. I couldn't name a single player on ND besides Colin Falls but they've gotten better as the year's gone on and are probably gonna end up with a 5 seed.
- I'm picking BC to win the ACC Tourney. Don't ask me why (playing Miami today has something to do with it, I'm sure), I just think they'll play UNC tough again and find a way to knock them off in the semis before finishing what they started in the last year's ACC Finals.

- This just in: Engin Atsur has been awarded a 7th year of eligibility by the NCAA. Good. I wasn't sure how the Wolfpack would've gone on without him.

- Can somebody get word to Dominic James that the monochromatic look he's always rocking is horrible. I mean, like, guys wearing capri pants awful. I'm all for color coordination, but do we really need you knee high socks and your completely unneccessary elbow brace to match your team's unis, regardless of color? It's a bit much, no?
- Speaking of uniform issues, anybody who wear one of those elbow things who's not named Allen Iverson is officially a douchebag. You don't need to wear it anymore than I need to have my hands tattooed (Which would be tits, by the way). It's a completely transparent attempt to look "cool". If you want to wear that crap (I looking at you Pat Fitzgerald) then I won't to see a doctor's note.

- I know that he had a great year and this may seem like an overreaction but I'm going to say it anyway. I have zero confidence in Aaron Afflalo as a crunch time scorer in high level NCAA Tourney games. Even before going 1-7 yesterday, he seems to be conspicuous by his absence in most of UCLA's big losses this year and he was highly ineffective during the Bruins' run in last year's tourney. A big time swingman should be able to create his own shot off the dribble and Afflalo really struggles to do that against consistently when guarded by top flight athletes. Remember I said this if UCLA meets a team like SIU in the second round.

And with that, I'm gonna call it a week. Well, not actually. I'm still be at work, though there's a 80% chance I won't do a single ounce of work for the duration of the day.






10 comments:

T.J. said...

G:TB is a big fan of back-handed compliments/links...assface.

By the way, even Jess Settles thinks Atsur has overstayed his welcome.

Mark said...

I believe we settled on Leslie as my nickname TJ, but thanks for your suggestion.

T.J. said...

Leslie, I eagerly await your visit to Kramerica's DC headquarters.
- The homeless

Mark said...

Yeah, about that. It now appears as though my trip to DC will be delayed slightly. I just got word that it's looking more like the beginning of April now. Hopefully, it will be near the weekend.

Mark said...

Scratch that, I'm back in for the 20th. I'm trying to work it out so I don't fly back until sometime on the 21st. So I can, umm, get some extra training. Yeah, exactly.

CFunk28 said...

Just an unbelievable weekend of games. If this was any indication of next weekend then I'm pumped.

Don't sleep on Notre Dame. They got a tough draw w/ Winthrop in the 1st round. You know that they will be sick of hearing how everyone is picking against them by the time they play.

It makes me sick that Afflalo gets all the pub at UCLA. Collison is clearly the cog that makes their engine run. Plus their inside guys are really underrated.

How does Stanford get in? I know they played a good schedule, but they won 18 games. 18!!! What is this 1994? No major conference school should get an at large w/ 18 wins. I hate Syracuse, but they have a serious gripe this season. Them and Drexel top my "Biggest Screw Job" list.

Mark said...

Yep, Cuse and Drexel are the two most egregious omissions, imo. I'm not sure how Stanford gets in either. Arkansas is a very questionable pick as well. They went 7-9 in an average SEC. Plus, the SEC West was possibly the worst division in major college hoops this year.

Funny you mention ND. I hate them but found myself really starting to think they had the potential for a serious run in the tourney when I watched them this past week. They play really well together and have a lot of ways to beat you. There's a lot to like there. And, as you said, they should have a chip on their shoulder from all the people who'll inevitably pick Winthrop. Huge reverse upset potential in that game.

Collison's the most underrated player in the country. UCLA doesn't even win the Pac-10 without him. While the Bruins big are underrated, their lack of scoring inside is troubling to me. They're a little to perimter dependent (and Afflalo is prone to having an off night from time to time)for me to take them too deep into the tourney. Of course, they are a #2 and still get to stay in Cali for the duration of the tourney. How is this fair?

Can you tell I'm pumped? Thursday can't come soon enough.

CFunk28 said...

Arkansas getting in was crap. If they were going to take anyone out of the SEC West I thought it should have been Ole Miss. Andy Kennedy gets screwed for the second straight season.

Even though I'm sure you could care less, how does Akron not even get an NIT bid? They won 26 games. I'm sure the NIT's new policy of giving an auto to all regular season champs hurt them (Toledo won the MAC), but how can you win 26 games, lose your tournament championship game on a buzzer beater, and end up w/o a post season bid? Just unbelievable.

Mark said...

You're right. I don't give a crap. Akron smells like burning rubber and has (possibly) the worst mall I've ever been too. Seriously though, thats ridiculous that they didn't get an NIT bid. However, they might not even want to play after that heartbreaker on Saturday night. What an awful way to lose. I'd still be unable to go out of the house after a loss like that. 26 wins and not postseason is awful.

Ole Miss got screwed b/c they had to play UF in the semis instead of the final. truthfully, no SEC West deserved a bid, Arkansas just happened to have the SEC tourney line up int their favor. I think Kennedy is going to be VERY successful at Ole Miss. He's a very good coach. Just wait until he gets some of his own recruits in Oxford.

John said...

The worst mall in America is in Providence, RI, on the way to the airport. The parking lots are constantly full of gigantic piles of snow, over half of the stores are out of business and chained up, and there seems to be some sort of pre-pubescent gang running wild inside, sort of like a Mallrats-meets-Lord of the Flies scenario. Truly frightening.