Monday, July 11, 2005

We can't really call him Pudge anymore can we?

For Christ's sake, he weighs a buck eighty now!

That's right the eyes of the world have descended on downtown Detroit this evening. By the way, when I say eyes of the world I mean sports starved losers like me.

I usually could care less about the Home Run Contest. In fact, I get visibly mad when ESPN shows it during a random afternoon. However, tonight was definitely the exception. Bobby Abreu's first round was absolutely riveting. I had just walked in from the gym and ended up sitting on the edge of my couch watching his entire run. It wasn't just the number of homers but the size of the homers. A couple of them were just ridiculous, unbelievable really. I know it's only batting practice but I still had to pick up the phone and call my Dad. I could pretty much care less if he wins or not. The first round is all anyone will ever remember anyway. A couple of other things I've noticed:

- Why can't the kids who are shagging flys during the Home Run Contest ever make a catch? These little rats flail on every routine pop up hit their way. Are the organizers using the same blind and deaf kids from the NAtional Anthem at the Super Bowl? That's nice.

- I always thought Anduw Jones was from Caracas, Venuezuela. Evidently, I have been wrong for a very long time. He's actually from Willemstad, Curacao. Which is a territory of Holland? Does that mean he's going to have to play for Holland in the new Wold Cup of Baseball? Man, that blows.

- I have a friend named Joe McGrail who I think looks alot like a white version of David Ortiz.

- It's really too bad that Ivan Calderon got blasted a couple years ago. He'd have been a fun guy to have hanging around tonight.

- There is absolutley no way that I would ever choose to watch the ESPY's. I'd rather watch a snuff film.

3 comments:

CFunk28 said...

I will never call Joe McGrail "Big Papi". Maybe "White Papi", that's a possibility.

T.J. said...

Did you catch the one kid who kept trying to make sliding catches? I was pretty sure he was gonna destroy the ACLs of at least 5 other kids by the time the night was done.

Mark said...

I'm not sure how I missed that. I think that I just assumed that the announcers meant to say Caracas and wrote it off as yet another mistake by overpaid blowhards.

Anyway...I obviously suck.