Tuesday, July 19, 2005

More writing, less maturity...Oh yeah!

I've been really busy lately trying to work myself into a new line of employment and if things go well (read: If I pass my background check) then I'll be starting a new job within two weeks. That would be my fourth job this summer and, hopefully, my last for a while now. All this job switching is great and I have really enjoyed the constant raises that this summer has afforded me, but I think we all know that you can't accrue any real vacation time if you're always starting a new job. Frankly, I'm pretty wiped from all this cloak and dagger job searching and could use a nice 7-10 day vacation.

What does this mean for my inconsistent writing schedule? Hopefully it means that I will start to get back to writing on 4-5 day a week basis. That's been the one downside of all of my summer activities. I haven't been able to write as much and I miss it. I should know within a couple of weeks whether this new plan is feasable or not. Not a minute too soon I might add, as baseball's divisional races will be heating up and college football will be breathing down our collective necks.

As for these days, I'm finding it a little hard to get very wrapped up in sports at this point in the summer. Other than baseball there is very little to speak of in terms of newsworthy items. Even baseball has nothing more than my passing attention at the moment. The Cardinals are shoe-ins for the playoffs at this time and just need to focus on staying healthy (way to eff that up Reggie Sanders) and I wouldn't shed a single tear if the entire American League went the way of the Manzere (or the Bro, whichever). I think that I'm going to throw my late summer support in the direction of the Nationals, if only so that I have somebody/something to pull for over the next two months. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that they'll fall short down the stretch but it won't be for lack of support from this guy.

Like I said earlier, there isn't alot to talk about...other than this stuff:


-Jim Rome is so damn annoying it pains me. Between him calling guys "dog" and proclaiming himself the "King of Smack" it makes me want to fly to LA just so I can kick him in the jewels. If it wasn't for his famous (and hilarious) fight with Jim "Chris" Everrett, I might purposely contract hepatitis just so the Make-A-Wish foundation could set the wheels in motion on this thing. Where does all of this come from? I got stuck watching his god-awful show this afternoon and had to listen to him repeatedly refer to Kenny Rogers as "The Roaster". Yes, we get it. No, it is not in any way humorous...not even a little bit.

- Manny Ramirez ducking into the Green Monster has been a top three story on every damn sports related TV & Radio show today. I know it's the middle of July but are we that hard up for news. Is it even worthy of discussion? It was hot and the guy has approximately 27 lbs of hair on his head, maybe he needed a cool drink. Relax already. I'm glad "sports" reporters can spend 10 minutes on Manny's pee break without ever mentioning that Johhny Damon's hit streak ended. Finally, we have our priorities in order.

- Here's something that's actually noteworthy (which is about all you'll hear about it, a note): Donyell Marshall signed with the Cavs. Count me among the people who've never really understood the infatuation with Marshall's game. He doesn't do anything great, just alot of different things above average. With that said, I think he'll give the Cavs some nice versatility along the front line (as well as a plethora of shitty, cheap tattoos) and allow them to throw alot of different lineups on the floor. He's not much of a defensive upgrade over Drew Gooden but he is certainly more consistent. Then again, most of my ex-girlfriends emotional swings were more consistent than Gooden.

- The Nets are going to sign Shareef Abdur-Rahim, whom I consider wildy overrated. He's not very athletic and doesn't dominate in the post. He's never, ever played on a winner and is definitely a full level (or two) below the elite power forwards in the league. Yet, he should do really well in New Jersey. Provided that he's willing to run at Jason Kidd's pace. If he does that then he'll get an easy 8 points a night on layups and dunks. Plus, the Nets figure to run alot of their halfcourt offense through him. Which is good for him because he is the kind of guy who needs alot of touches to leave his fingerprints on the game. If he can pry the ball ball of Vince Carter's hands then he should definitely make the All-Star team in the East. Though that says more about the East than it does about 'Reef. Did I just call him 'Reef? I'm sorry about that, it won't ever happen again.

- Alot of people are talking about Andrew Bogut getting tossed from a Summer League game. What they aren't talking about is how he got smoked by David Harrison prior to that. In just over a half Harrison lit up Bogut for 14 pts and 9 boards. Ouch.

- I was listening to The Clash today and started to wonder if Chris Farley got some of his inspiration for his Matt Foley sketches from "London Calling" (the song, not the album). I'm probably waaay off here but do me a favor and give it a listen. What do you have to lose? It's better than any of the crap on the radio.

-Oh yeah, Stephen A. Smith is getting his own show on ESPN. In related news, I'm getting my own pistol-grip shotgum

2 comments:

Mark said...

Listen to it again..."I live by the River" and "I live in a van down by the River"...that's all I'm saying.

I agree with you on Screamin' A. He has begun to realize that he doesn't have to outshout people in order to get his point across. He's still one of the most annoying people this side of Stuart Scott.

T.J. said...

Rack me, I'm outttttttttt