Thursday, November 04, 2004

Hello NBA...Goodbye to a goodnight's rest.

Two days after the election and we can finally get back to living a normal life again. Personally, the election was a MAJOR annoyance to me because of one thing, and one thing only...all the damn supporters that I had to encounter at sporting events, for christ's sake. I was literally overwhelmed with both Bush and Kerry supporters trying to push their wares on me the last time I went up to Gainesville (which was early October, damnit!). Don't get me wrong, I'm as in favor of the democratic process as the next guy but I prefer my football to be just that, with my focus sqarely on football...that becomes tough to do when you have 19 year old frat boys pushing the political agendas that their Daddies told them were right. Next time you want to suport a candidate go to city hall...leave my football time to me and my good friend Jack Daniels.

With that being said, we can get on to more important topics...like the start of the NBA season. I realize that the NBA isn't even close to the immensely popular entity that it once was but frankly, I don't care. I love basketball, in all forms, even one as mutated and canned as the NBA can be. So here are a few of my thoughts from the first two nights.

Can I order the poster of Steve Francis dunking on Erick Strickland yet? Can I order two?

Cleveland WILL make the playoffs and may even put up a good fight for home court in the playoffs. Lebron is just THAT good. Seriously, name me three other swingmen who keep the Cavs in that game versus the Pacers last night...I didn't think so. The Boozer debacle will come back to haunt them but they made enough stop-gap moves that they will be very, very competitive in the east, then again, Kansas might be competitive in the East.

Dwight Howard is gonna be REAL good. I have no idea if his offensive game ever develops but if, and that is a pretty nice size if, it ever does...WATCH OUT!! he is freakishly athletic, has huge, broad shoulders that can put on alot more muscle and is already clearly not intimidated by NBA competition. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it didn't have something to do with playing the Milwaukee Bucks and their awful frontcourt but he plays hard on both ends, attacks the boards, has great hands (most underrated aspect of a big man), runs the floor (like a gazelle?), and has great timing when going for blocks. I was very disapointed when the Magic passed over Emeka Okafor but I can defintely see the reasoning behind it now. This kid has top 5 in the league, SUPERSTAR potential. Seriously, I haven't been this excited since I saw a drunk Bushwick Bill dancing on Rap City 6 years ago.

I have to say one thing about the Bucks...they are in for a precipitous downfall this year. I don't think people realize how much TJ Ford meant to this team with the way he pushed the ball and set everybody up with his insane court vision. He was like that friend you had in college who always knew hot girls but never hooked up with them so when you went out with him your chances of scoring were immediately raised 30-45%. Also, the Milwaukee front court is awful, just awful...Dan Gadzuric, Zaza Pachulia (will be good one day, just not today), 87 year old Toni Kukoc and Joe Smith. Jesus, Jack Sikma could start on this team. Eeek!!

Speaking of Joe Smith...how in god's name was he the NUMBER ONE PICK IN THE NBA DRAFT? C'mon, the guy is a 6'8" C/PF who is not overly athletic with no jumpshot to speak of, yet at the time, he was the consensus No. 1 pick...its not like the Warriors went out on a limb when they drafted him. Everybody wanted him. Is it just me or is this like drafting a receiver who runs a 4.6 40 and has a noted attitude problem No. 1 overall...not that that has ever happened.

Everybody needs to hold off a bit on this whole Lakers/Kobe revival thing. Maybe I'm crazy but I can't see a guy who has a history or dysfunctional relationships with teammates (not just Shaq) not going crazy at some point during a 6 or 8 game losing streak (a streak like this WILL happen, they ARE in the West). Plus, as much as I love Lamar Odom, and I really do, I am having trouble imagining him holding his own against some of the Power Forwards in the West. Sure that works in the East when you're going up against PJ Brown and Kenny Thomas but one of two things will happen here: 1. Odom breaks down from all the pounding, which would be absolutely catastrophic for the Lakers or 2. The Lakers get outrebounded by 25 a night. either way...not good times. Odom is a SF...I will not argue about this, just because you are 6'9" or 6'10" doesn't mean you are a banger especially in the West. Sure it "worked" in the Olympics, but I think we all know the physicality of the NBA game is just a bit more taxing then the international game that has produced such rough and tumble forwards as Dirk, Hedo Turkoglu or the immortal Mark Anstey.

Does Derek Fisher realize that nobody is going to be double teaming Adonal Foyle? Or has he been hiding the ability to create his own shot for all these years?

You have to feel bad for Nate McMillan, a GREAT defensive player in his day who is now coaching a backcourt of Luke Ridnour and Ray Allen...not exactly Alvin Robertson and Michael Cooper. To top it all off, he brings in Flip Murray off the bench who couldn't hate defense more if he was named Rodney White.

Rodney White played his high school ball at Kensington Prep in Maryland, as did DeMarr Johnson...do you know who else played there? Former Gator and current Bearcat James "Flight" White...you couldn't pay me to draft this guy next year...unless of course my name was Elgin Baylor, then I'd probably do it out of the kindness of my heart.

Alright I'll say it...I had given up on Larry Hughes before last year. I just chalked it up to him being an athletic tweener who couldn't shoot straight...sometimes when I try and analyze the NBA I feel like I've never even watched basketball before...its like I'm watching curling or something.

Following in the grand tradition of the '03 Nuggets, '02 Warriors, '01 Sonics and 2000 clippers, My new west coast team to follow on DirectTV this year that my girlfriend will inevitably end up irrationally hating is (cue drumroll)....the Phoenix Suns...seriously, Nash running around on speed, Q being Q and Crazy Amare are enough but when you factor in Joe Johnson (so f'in complete) and Leandro Barbosa I may need to resort to naps in my office in the afternoon.





No comments: