Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentimes!!

Since it’s Valentines Day I figured I’d focus this post on something near and dear to my heart: Basketball. Also, since it’s getting close to March, even the most apathetic of sports fans are turning their attention to the hardwood. Honestly, what other choice do they have at this point? You can go watch out of shape pitchers run laps at Spring Training this week if you like. Trust me, seeing Livan Hernandez barely jog around a baseball field isn’t nearly exciting as it sounds. Seriously. (On the other hand, watching his mistress squeeze into a pair of skin tight white pants is something to behold).

Before I get to basketball though, I need to mention the football game I participated in on Super Bowl Sunday (Mugs Bowl II). I’d have given a much more comprehensive update if there was much worth telling. Basically, the over-30 team didn’t get any better while the under-30 team (my team) got markedly better with some well placed additions on each side of the ball. After I picked off the game’s 2nd pass and ran it back for a TD, the route was on. The defense took 3 picks back for TDs on this day while leading the under-30 team to a 49-0 victory. That’s a combined score of 70-0 over the past two years for the under-30s. Somehow, I don’t see a rematch next year. Now, onto basketball.

Most of these thoughts are from the past few days of basketball viewing and will be compiled in bullet form. If you’re not happy with this format, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s busy around here and I have to leave for San Diego on Friday morning for work. That’s right, I’ll be in San Diego all weekend and I won’t be doing anything but working. Fuck me.

- I have to admit, when Chris Webber joined the Pistons earlier this month it barely registered on my radar. The only reason I even cared was that I was happy the Magic didn’t try and bring him into the fold. I couldn’t see what he was going to bring to the Pistons that would change them much. Of course, I forgot what Webber can be when you put him around other talented, capable and unselfish basketball players. His versatility and skill have finally allowed Flip Saunders to effectively use his offensive strategies as the Pistons coach. He’s already made Richard Hamilton a more effective and dangerous scorer while also giving Rasheed Wallace more room to operate out of the low or high post. Basically, this move has worked out perfect for both sides. The Pistons have another facilitator of their offense (which takes some of the playmaking load off of Chauncey Billups) and Webber is on a team where he won’t have to be the go-to guy during crunch time. It seems so simple now when you watch him play with Detroit that I still can’t believe I missed it initially.
- There is not a single player in all of college basketball that annoys me more than Jared Dudley. He’s ugly, his game is ugly and he’s absolutely obnoxious on the court. That he’s on his 7th year of eligibility doesn’t help much. I still can't figure out how he's so effective offensively. It's like defenders are still taking him lightly.

- Speaking of BC, am I the only person who is secretly hoping that former BC center Sean Williams falls to his team in the second round of the NBA Draft? I mean, he’s waaay too big a risk to spend a first round pick on, but with his size, athleticism and natural shot blocking instincts, he’s an absolute lock to lead the league in blocks one day. If you got him around the right organization, he could even be a borderline All-Star in the same way that Theo Ratliff was earlier in his career.

- I tuned in to the Memphis-UAB game last week to take a peek at Memphis. They’re an intriguing team b/c they have a ton of talent and play in a shit conference where they are rarely tested. Its nearly impossible to get an accurate handle on their potential in the tournament. So I was surprised to see former Indiana coach Mike Davis prowling the sidelines for UAB. I had completely forgotten that he took the job there. Evidently, Davis also forgot…that he was going to be on national television on this particular evening. The man’s nails looked like they hadn’t been cut in a month. To give you an idea of how bad they were, I’d say they were somewhere between your average cokehead’s nails and Michael J. Fox’s nails in Teen Wolf. Completely and totally creepy.


- Is there any player more frustrating to watch the Josh McRoberts? He’s the classic jack of all trades, master of none player. I can’t name one thing he excels at. However, nothing is more frustrating than watching him attempt to score from the low block. It the same thing everytime: He dribbles for a few seconds, picks up his dribble and wheels over his right shoulder. Then, he pumps fakes toward the hoop and wheels around in an attempt to get his defender in the air for a foul or an up-and-under move. One problem here: Since he never shoots that 10-footer off the glass, nobody goes for the pump fake. Inevitably, McRoberts ends up throwing up some contested shot or throwing the ball back out. At a legit 6’11”, the kid can’t even score when isolated against collegiates. Its unbelievable. He’ll be lucky if he’s as productive as Shavlik Randolph in the NBA.
- I have a couple of minor points about Bill Simmons’ basketball blog (which is lovely) that I have to mention:

First, he says that he’s watched two of the last three Gonzaga games but he goes on to mention that Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis as key players for Gonzaga. Umm, yeah. Davis is currently redshirting. Good to know you’ve been paying attention, Bill. Secondly, Simmons called Kevin Durant the highest scoring freshman since Pete Maravich. While he’s not far off here, I seem to remember another PG from LSU who scored at a far more prodigous rate than Durant. You might remember him as Chris Jackson, or Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. However you remember him, here’s his stat line from his freshman year: 30.2 ppg, 4.1 apg, 49 percent FG percentage. Frankly, there’s no excuse for omitting Jackson here. None.



Hey Bill, remember me?


- It’s well documented that I love Hubie Brown. Not only is he the best in-game analyst there is in the NBA. He’s funny too, and I’m not talking about his use of the third person. I’d almost forgotten how great Hubie was until I heard him constantly referring to Tim Duncan as “Timmy” during Sunday’s ABC broadcast.

- Did anybody else notice that UCLA was wearing Royal Blue jerseys against West Virginia on Saturday? When did they stop using Baby Blue (or whatever the choose to call it) for their primary color? I feel like this contributed to the loss in some manner. Yes, I’m aware that I’m crazy.

- If you’re a big man (or any type of frontcourt player) who has a questionable shooting touch why wouldn’t you work to perfect the glass jumper from 10-18 feet? While its somewhat of a lost art, it’s a pretty easy shot to perfect if you put in the necessary amount of work. From an averages standpoint, it’s a much more high % shot than your normal jumpshot with a higher margin of error for successful attempts. Take a guy like Kansas’ Julian Wright. His only perceived weakness among NBA scouts is his outside touch. If he worked on this shot, his offensive efficiency would nearly double due to the threat posed to the defense. Of all the things that make/made both Tim Duncan and Scottie Pippen successful offensive players, the glass jumper would rank in the top 3 for each of them. I’m just saying.

- One of the things that gets overlooked about the University of Florida basketball team’s success is the play of Chris Richard. While Noah and Horford (rightfully) get all the attention and credit, Richard supplies the Gators with a third viable scoring and defensive option on the interior. His size, strength and skill are unmatched by anybody's third inside player in the country. In fact, you could make the case that he’d start on 75% of the teams in the country (if not more), and I believe he’ll eventually end up in the NBA as a fourth big man for somebody. Without him, Florida has at least 3 more losses this year and, more than likely, isn’t the defending National Champions.

- Can somebody explain to me why it took 30 years for the University of Tennessee to retire Bernard King’s jersey? The guy was a 3 time SEC Player of the Year and easily the most recognizable name in the history of the program. It’s not like we’re talking about UNC or Indiana here. Really, it took thirty years to do this? You’ll have to forgive me if I feel like race played a role here.

- Both Corey Brewer, the SEC and possibly the nations best defender, and Chris Lofton, the SEC and possibly the nations best shooter, wanted to play at the University of Kentucky coming out of high school. Despite being a McDonald’s All-American (Brewer) and Mr. Basketball in the state of Kentucky (Lofton), neither were recruited to play at the University of Kentucky. UK told he Brewer was “too frail” while Lofton was deemed “too one dimensional” to play for UK. Meanwhile, UK has found room for such impact players as Ramel Bradley, Bobby Perry and Joe Crawford during that same time. As much as UK fans like to bitch about Tubby Smith, I think they have a legitimate gripe when it comes to the recruitment (or lack thereof) of these two. I can’t imagine what Tubby and his staff were thinking when they declined to recruit these two, who, by the way, have each been starting since day one at their respective schools.

- Finally, I’d like to officially declare that this weekend’s NBA All-Star game will be among the most boring and sloppy that any of us have ever witnessed. No Nash + No Kidd = Tons of turnovers and deep three pointers. Can’t we just get Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Luke Ridnour and Shaun Livingston to play all-time PG like the older (and bigger) kid would do when we all played football growing up?

30 comments:

CFunk28 said...

Good call on Chris Jackson. Its pretty easy for him to slip under the radar.

And while you're right on the differences in Childress and Law IV, I can't think of a more clutch player in the time since that ridiculous ACC tournament that Childress took over. Law just takes over games. Kind of like Forest Gump pulling all of his buddies through the jungle. He just won't let them die. In college basketball, right now, with the game on the line I want AC Law IV to have the ball for the last shot.

One more thing, I thought Simmons made a great point about Noah in the draft. He's most likely going to fall into a great situation by not going in the top 3.

John said...

I was hoping Tennessee would retire Bernard King's blown out knees as well. I think a nice banner hanging in Thompson-Boling Arena with an MRI of his ravaged joints would be a wonderful touch. I'm just waiting for them to retire Steve Hamer's jersey, though. I mean, he was 7-feet tall, dated a 5-foot tall fat girl, AND appeared on NBA Jam Extreme for the Celtics. That's not enough?

Mark said...

Absolutely correct on Noah. Its the same reason I said Siler was smart to go in the NFL Draft. His stock will never be higher and another year will only lead to scouts picking out all his deficiencies. His energy, speed and defense alone will make him an impact player, especially considering the number of teams that are pushing the ball more these days.

You're right on Law. He does a great job of pickig his spots. He could probably score more but realizes when his team NEEDS him to score. He's definitely the most clutch player in college right now. Don't sleep on Lofton though. He's been hurt, but when healthy he has the balls and skills to take/make any shot. I'll never forget that ACC tourney from Childress. Easily the most dominating tourney performance I've ever seen.

As for Jackson, people forget how unbelievable he was as a freshman. Completely unstoppable. I'd really like to see what he could do in today's NBA. He came along during a tough era for him. The game was slower and more deliberate and Iverson hadn't changed the thought process on smallish 2 guards yet. If he came out today with the new defensive rules and the ability to play off the ball, his NBA career turns out totally different.

Mark said...

John-- you know more about Steve Hamer than Steve Hamer's mother. I'd always pegged you as a Ron Slay fan, that fat fuck.

Did you see how fat King is these days? That's always tough for me to handle when it comes to the athletes of my youth. Seeing Spud Webb at last year's dunk contest left me depressed for weeks.

T.J. said...

It's not Memphis' fault, but once again the complete lack of competition for 2 months leading into the Dance is going to lead to a 2nd Round loss. Talent be damned.

Mark said...

Yep. I'm sure one year they'll breakthrough (when Calipari has 2/3 one and done guys) and get to the Final Four (didn't they make the Elite 8 last year?) but the lack of any real conference competition will always affect them in the tourney. To Calipari's credit, he does schedule a really tough out of conference sked.

T.J. said...

I have actually always liked Coach Cal, mainly because of the ridiculous feud he had with Owl Chaney, and you're right, he schedules great non-conference games. The problem of course is all that good competition gets diluted by whipping SMU and Marshall and ECU all through January and February.

And you're right, they were Elite 8 last year...losing to UCLA by 5.

Mark said...

I like that Coach Cal is obviously crooked and has been so for years, yet nobody seems able (or willing, maybe) to nail him on any high level NCAA violations.

Magic were on the 2nd TV since the Gator game last night was more meaningful. He looked good from what I saw. Battie's injury has come at the perfect time in that Darko is actually ready to start now. He had 16 & 12 a couple night ago as well. You're right, its doubtful he's special but I think he's going to be good to very good, possibly making an All-Star team or two. I really hope the Magic can re-sign him without breaking the bank due to another teams ludicrous FA offer. We'll see.

In other Magic news, JJ Reddick seems to be figuring some things out. He's scored double digits three times in the last week and a half. It's helped that the Hill is running a few plays for him when he's on the court.

T.J. said...

Tim Hardaway hates JJ Redick.

Mark said...

Oh, I get it. You're insinuating that JJ Redick is gay. Well, you're probably right. I hear he and Josh McRoberts are desperately trying to make the long distance thing work.

And based on the grammatical error made in my previous comment, Brian Hill will heretofore be known as "The Hill", or not.

Jerry said...

I'm living the dream of being a lame, casual sports fan. I haven't seen a full college basketball game yet this year. I watched the first half of the Rutgers-UNC game and the 2nd half/OT of the Texas-OSU game (only because teejay and whitney showed up at my apartment for extended drinking time). Looking at my calendar, I probably won't see a game until Championship Week. It's gonna be weird. Fortunately, March is the only thing that really matters.

Mark said...

I was wondering how you were handling things after I read your rugby post, which was lovely.

Fortunately for you this isn't the fall b/c that would be murder. If you immerse yourself in most of championship week and read a few articles on some mid-majors and other assorted sleepers you'll be as equipped for March as anyone. I've actually found that information overload can be a detriment to tourney pool success.

As for actual viewing, you're right. March is really all that matters. Though, with that said, you missed a hell of a comeback from UF last night. Started off down 9-0, then it got up to 22-4. The ended up down 11 at half and won by 9. That was their biggest conference test of the year so far and they acquitted themselves quite well. Playing at Vandy this weekend is gonna be interesting. Underrated team, crazy atmosphere and a tough venue.

Jerry said...

I've got my slingbox set up, but it's impossible to watch sports with the time difference. Even on the weekend, it's tough to get excited about watching an isolated game on my computer. I just had to let it all go. It's the perfect time though -- not missing anything important and I'm skipping out on the coldest weather of the year.

Mark said...

I hear you. It's tough for me to get overly excited about games on Tivo. For some reason knowing the game isn't live makes the experience feel unauthentic.

February blows as far as sports. you picked a good year to get into EPL.

CFunk28 said...

I love that Calipari is a greasy WOP. He probably has mob ties and that's why no one goes after him.

Was Cal behind them not going to the Big East? Or was that a combo of the Big East not wanting to add another football team and Memphis not wanting to get pummeled forever in football? I just figured they would have been a better choice than USF or DePaul. At least basketball wise.

Jerry said...

The Big East should've taken Memphis. I don't remember why it didn't happen. Even in football, I think moving to a BCS conference would move them up the food chain. They have the same kind of base as Cincy or USF. Big school that's not very good in a city that has decent recruiting grounds. The BE needs more football teams. Having only 8 hurts them when being compared to other BCS conferences.

T.J. said...

I sure would prefer Memphis to South Florida...and have you looked at how bad Conference USA is?

CFunk28 said...

I really didn't want to be the one to do this. But I can't believe that w/ the readership of this blog that no one else did.

"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

Mark said...

Ah yes, nothing like checking your blog from the airport in Atlanta during a 3 hour layover. Btw, San Diego is the greatest city in the world. It's a fact.

Actually, I was very impressed with San Diego. Except the lack of anybody with whom to trade lines from Anchorman ultimately proved extremely disappointing. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to get drunk at Chili's, or Houlihans or some other overpriced airport bar.

Mark said...

What is the date of that weekend again? I'm gonna make sure I take off Friday so we can get started on the weekend early.

Also, get with Calvin and John (I'll send an email too) and try and get them to get their flights to come in around the same time/day as yours. That way I'm not driving to and from Orlando three separate times picking you donkeys up.

CFunk28 said...

So I take it that Florida has been finalized? It was nice of Duper the Panda and Butt Rammin' John decided to let me and Hughes know.

I'll start looking for flights.

If John doesn't come he's a huge whale's vagina.

Mark said...

John is already a huge whale's vagina. however, if he doesn't come then he's gonna be a huge whale's vagina that's had his ass kicked twice in the last 6 months. yeah. I said it.

John said...

Um, excuse me? If I don't come, that would mean that I've had my ass kicked twice in the last three months. Not six. Get it right, asshole.

But not only will I come, I'll also stop by Danville, Virginia, on the way and murder Brownie. I'll hate crime his mutt-ass.

Mark said...

I was trying to make you sound cooler, John. I should've known better.

So, Brownie is Calvin's dog's name? What a fucking stupid name. Did you let one of the kids you coach name it that? Way to be original you dick. I'm thinking Tinsley might have something to say about your dog stealing his last name and bastadizing it liek that.

John said...

Let's be honest. It's impossible, some might even say unpossible, to ever, EVER, make me sound cool(er).

But at least I don't watch American Idol.

CFunk28 said...

Brownie isn't named after food. He's named for the Browns, which makes him a loser. A loser who likes to bite me. Of course the name also carries racial undertones which is fun too.

Mark said...

If I was a dog I'd want to attack you as well. you should've named him LeCharles. At least that way, somebody named LeCharles would be playing on Sundays in the fall.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

T.J. said...

San Diego Super Chargers...

CFunk28 said...

I actually heard about Bentley back in December from my father-in-law. Apparently its been a known possibility since Thanksgiving. The NFL should let them start over from scratch. Get rid of every player, have another expansion draft and all that good stuff. Who am I kidding? They'd still screw up the draft.

At least Wimbley worked out well this season.

Mark said...

Why doesn't your father-in-law go out for the Browns? He's gotta be as good as half your backup o-line.