Thursday, February 16, 2006

Who does #2 work for?

In light of yesterday's trade by the Orlando Magic, I should definitely be posting something of significance today. Though, I must admit that I'm not quite sure which I should mention first, the acquisition of Chad Ford's love monkey, Darko Milicic, or the fact that the Orlando Magic now boast a roster that includes FIVE point guards. Which, by the way, now allows the Magic to field the all 6'3" and under starting five that I called for in this blog so many months ago. If you remember, that request came as a direct result of the Magic's acquisitions of Keyon Dooling and Travis Diener within weeks of one another. Of course for the Magic to successfully field the smallest starting lineup in NBA history, Jameer Nelson would have to be able to actually play. This is currently an impossibility due to the mis-diagnosis of Nelson's torn ligament in his foot (originally diagnosed as a sprain) and the mind numbingly high level of incompetence that seemingly permeates the entire Orlando Magic organization. I should talk about all of this, and I will...eventually. I'm going to hold off on any further analysis or comment regarding the current direction of the Magic franchise until tomorrow when (hopefully) the organization's plans for Steve Francis have become clearer.

Besides my hope for additional player movement within the next 24 hours by the two headed General Managerial monster that is Dave Twardzik and Otis Smith, my reticence to discuss the Magic's most recent stab at front office competency is also due to my impending departure from work in less than an hour and a half. Though I wasn't lying to my co-workers when I told them I had an "appointment" at 3 pm, I'd be more than a little surprised if any of them realized that my appointment was, in fact, a tattoo appointment. I'm still not sure why, but evidently leaving work to sit in a tattoo parlor for three plus hours isn't viewed in the same light as going to have your prostate examined by Dr. Patel.

I'll be back at work tomorrow and should have something Magic/Darko related up by the early afternoon, provided that my entire right leg doesn't become infected overnight.

Finally, you're kidding yourself if you don't think that I've already purchased one these.

9 comments:

T.J. said...

You getting the Darko tattoo?

Mark said...

You know it. It's going to be a portrait of him when his freshly pierced ears got infected during the Finals. Oh man, it's going to be sweet.

Jerry said...

All upside. How can you not love this? Darko was the #2 pick in the draft. He was born June 20, 1985. 1985! He's 20. So much upside. So much time to grow. The only thing to be concerned about is the contract -- I'm not sure where that stands. You don't want to have to fish or cut bait before you know if he'll develop.

But think about it -- in 3 years he'll be 23. That's still young. And think about how much better he could get in 3 years.

Mark said...

On the FreeDarko comments section, their is some guy talking about Darko's coke habit. If that is in any way true (doubtful, Drako's stay in Orlando will prove to be an extremely unsuccesful one, as party favors of that nature are readily available in the Magic Kingdom.

As for Darko's contract, he will eligible for free agnecy after next year. He's going to have plenty of time and, considering the Magic's current state, should receive ample opportunity to prove his worth to the Magic. Unfortunately, the Magic are going to have to make a decision on Darko's before they truly know what they have in him. I look at the trade this way, at least Darko will actually be showing up in Orlando and joining the roster, as oppossed to Fran Vazquez. Though I sure would've liked to have seen the Magic extend the lottery protection of their 2007 draft pick beyond the Top 5.

Mark said...

Excuse the veritable punctuation abortion that was the previous comments. I'm a little off my game after a three day weekend...and I'm an idiot, but you already knew that.

T.J. said...

I don't know what to make of the fact that Rasheed Wallace says he calls Darko "The Serbian Gangsta".

T.J. said...

Get ready for Jamal Crawford, Maurice Taylor and some other Knick...Stevie Franchise is going to NYC. Or so says some guy on SI.com.

Mark said...

What's the over/under on the number of fadeway jumpers that those two will launch over the next 30 + games in Orlando? 350? 400?

As for Vlade as a mentor, I'm all for it. He does have the neccessary rep and could also work with Darko on his post-up game which seems to be (according to reports) where his offensive game is most lacking. Plus, who deosn't like having a guy on your roster who smokes a pack of Lucky Strikes a day?

Mark said...

Greatest nickname ever, that's what you make of it TJ.

Actually, it's suppossed to be Rasheed's nickname for Darko b/c he's always killing people in practice. That's great. I remember the 1999 UConn National Championship team saying the same thing about Ajou Deng during the Final Four. Which means: That Darko's little brother will be a beast.